Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Dibs - 05/07/03 03:56 AM
In the language of young people, one may assert a claim to ownership or entitlement by claiming to have "dibs on" the object in question. From whence cometh this expression? And why are dibs always "on" something? And don't give me any nonsense about "dibstones" unless you know what they were, how they were used and what they have to do with "dibsing" something.

Posted By: RubyRed Re: Dibs - 05/07/03 05:42 AM
I surely don't know the answer, but I have dibs on the first reply to your thread.......

Posted By: Capfka Re: Dibs - 05/07/03 08:20 AM
I'm not sure about this, but I fancied that it was a lift from Cockney rhyming slang for fingers - dabblers -> dibblers -> dibs.

Not standing by it, though.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dibs - 05/07/03 10:23 AM
dibs on the first reply

Just a usage question: Can you claim dibs on something while simultaneously actually taking that on which you claim dibs? I've never heard it used as anything other than making a claim before actually executing that claim.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Dibs - 05/07/03 01:03 PM
It's about time we had a nitpickers thread again, innit Faldage? I call shotgun on the first reply though!

Anyway, Quinion has a pretty thorough discussion on 'dibs':
http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-dib1.htm

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dibs - 05/07/03 01:05 PM
I wan't pickin no nit. I was just askin, loike.

Posted By: wwh Re: Dibs - 05/07/03 01:21 PM
I haven't heard "dibs" since early 1920s. Word-Detective cannot add much:
http://www.word-detective.com/041899.html#dibs

Posted By: Bean Re: Dibs - 05/07/03 01:44 PM
I haven't heard "dibs" since early 1920s.

Dear Dr. Bill, we use it all the time! ("We" meaning, say, people born after 1970...)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Dibs - 05/07/03 01:55 PM
I've heard people (mostly children) calling dibs on things since I was a little girl back in the early 1950s.

I just asked a group of 8-year-olds, "What does it mean when you Call dibs on something?"

One child answered, "It means you get to have it because you called dibs before anybody else."

Funny. I need to ask the kids in my next class--after such an answer--"Well, what exactly do you think 'dibs' means?"
Posted By: Faldage Re: Dibs - 05/07/03 02:07 PM
I would think that, children's language being normally very conservative in such matters and largely ignored by adults, that there could easily be a provenance af much greater age than the first recorded use. That it doesn't seem to match British usage would seem to argue against an origin in a British children's game, however. Do we have any citations from those of us from outside of North America?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Dubs - 05/07/03 02:38 PM
here's something else that may (or may not) be related:

A term used in various senses in the game of marbles (see quots.).

1823 E. MOOR Suffolk Words s.v., A player knocking two out of the ring cries ‘dubs!’ to authorize his claim to both. 1882 M. H. FOOTE Led-Horse Claim iv. 62 ‘What is it the boys say when they play marbles?’..‘Fend dubs?’ Hilgard suggested. 1896 Dialect Notes I. 220 In Missouri..dubs means, not doublets, but that the player has blundered, and by crying ‘dubs’ is entitled to play again.

Posted By: wwh Re: Dubs - 05/07/03 04:32 PM
I remember that "dibs" was used in marbles game, but can't remember how it was used.
I ;haven't seen kids play marbles, tops, of mumbledy peg for seventy years.

Posted By: of troy Re: Dubs - 05/07/03 04:56 PM
re:haven't seen kids play marbles, tops, of mumbledy peg for seventy years.

my kids had tops, but didn't play "war" with their tops they way boys did when i was young..

marble are still sold.. (and i have a lovely collection of marbles, including some aggies, all "street finds" --the last one added just a week or two ago..)

kids lives are more controled, and they are less likely to entertain themselves (i don't consider a video game that some one else developed to be self entertainment..)

but kids are kids.. in HS- my son was involved in long term (it went on for weeks) game of hi-tech tag... they used a small plastic (brightly colored) gun, that shot plastic disks about the size of a US nickel..different colors on different days had differing point values (the gun selected the ammo, randomly!) i never knew all the rules, but about 20% of the school kids got involved (eventually, the school administration cracked down, to many plastic disks, and a fear of someone getting their eye shot out...)

and my kids would call dibs, to 'ride shotgun' or to the last piece of candy, or to other silly stuff..as i did, as a child... every parent knows the term.. kids learn it from each other.

Posted By: dxb Re: Dubs - 05/08/03 06:52 AM
Playing ‘war’ with tops was a new idea to me until my 6 year old grandson introduced me to Beyblades. It seems to have come back in fashion with a bang, from Japan, and tied into a TV programme. We didn’t fight with tops when I was young, or at least, ‘my lot’ didn’t. Here’s a site about Beyblades, there are many others.

http://www.popularcollections.com/beyblades.html

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Dibs - 05/09/03 01:11 PM
There is also Dibs the hero of a wonderful account by Virginia Axline about the treatment of a brilliant but disturbed little boy with that name. I never did stop to consider where his name came from. Perhaps she made it up out of whole cloth. Anyone with an opinion on that one?

assuming any else read the book: ca 1960, I believe

Edit: 1964, to be precise. See
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/lit-med/lit-med-db/webdocs/webdescrips/axline803-des-.html
for a brief description.

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: Dibs - 05/09/03 05:37 PM
I've used and heard dibs at school, but in the UK at least, the term usually used is bagsied or bags. e.g: "I bags the last chocolate." Though the origin of this is probably more straight forward - as in grabbing/bagging something.

Posted By: Zed Re: Dibs - 05/09/03 11:54 PM
Quinion also uses the term "get his hands ... on the dibs". Dibs is also an old term for money, Georgin era I think, as in "the dibs are in tune" for having money.

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: Dibs on this - 05/10/03 05:03 AM

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Dibs on this - 05/10/03 12:07 PM
How's that again?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Dibs on this - 05/10/03 01:02 PM
A compelling example of deconstructionist mediocrity?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Dibs on this - 05/10/03 01:30 PM
A compelling example of vacuuous rhetoric?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Dibs on this - 05/10/03 01:39 PM
a minimalist reply
a placeholder, keeping dibs on the spot

but most likely, just a slip of the finger, and will be the subject of minor embarrassment when WM logs on next time and finds the tempest in a teapot started by an inadvertent hit-the-wrong-key-by-mistake-darn-it-now-I-have-to reconstruct-the-whole-silly-message glitch. Not to worry, WM, happens to all of us every now and then.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Dibs on this - 05/10/03 03:00 PM
>a minimalist reply
>a placeholder, keeping dibs on the spot

knowing wordminstrel (as I don't) I'm thinking this could well be the actual answer..
-joe (his dibs) friday

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: Dibs on this - 05/10/03 10:50 PM

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: Dibs on this - 05/10/03 11:17 PM
Dear Tsuwm: In dis spot, if in no other, I am "his dibs".

Dis who may, none can dibs me away.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Dibs on this - 05/11/03 02:27 AM
In dis spot, if in no other, I am "his dibs". And here I'd been thinking you were his nibs! ;-)

wofa, I got out my copy of "Dibs"; nowhere does it say where the name Dibs came from. In the story, both his mother and his teachers were calling him that before Ms. Axline met him. But there is so much emphasis on protecting the clients' privacy that I suspect she gave him the name. This was the first printing, 1968: the book cost seventy-five cents!

Posted By: sjm Re: Dibs - 05/13/03 09:03 AM
>dibs vs bags

In my childhood both were used interchangeably, now that I (outwardly) appear to be grown-up, dibs is the verb I both hear and use more often.

Posted By: consuelo Me, too! Me, too! - 05/14/03 04:44 AM
Ah! Another person cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

© Wordsmith.org