Wordsmith.org
Posted By: modestgoddess quick help needed - 04/03/03 08:33 PM
I'm working on an article and some of my research turned up the claim that the Clayton Antique Boat Show is "the oldest continuous antique boat show in the world."

Now I'm sure that's not what they mean, since it takes place Aug. 1-3 this year....But what IS the word they want? because I want it too....I don't think they can mean "continual" either, quite. Looked up "continuous" in my dic and it has a note: "Continuous refers to something which is non-stop; continual, whith which it is often confused, refers to something happening repeatedly, but with intervals in between." So much for that.

HELP!

Posted By: Faldage Re: quick help needed - 04/03/03 10:00 PM
Sounds like you've answered your own question. Still need help?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Continual/continuous continuum - 04/03/03 10:04 PM
Would that be anything like "the Oldest Established Permanent Floating Crap Game in New York", perhaps?

Posted By: Zed Re: quick help needed - 04/03/03 11:51 PM
The oldest, annual, antique boat show ... would give the sense without the confusion.

Posted By: Jackie Re: quick help needed - 04/04/03 01:02 AM
ongoing?

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: quick help needed - 04/04/03 01:28 AM
The oldest, annual, antique boat show ... would give the sense without the confusion.

[2c]
But neglects the element of continuity. ?uninterrupted
[/2c]

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: quick help needed - 04/04/03 01:57 AM
Still need help?

Only for interest's sake, at this point - had to send the piece in, so left out all reference to age/continuity of boat show....But I'm sure there's a word.

I was reluctant to put "oldest annual" simply because I'm not entirely sure, from the website, that the event has always been annual (ie, I wondered if it happened more than once a year at any point in its history, or if it happened alternate years, that kind o' thang).

Somehow I thought there was another "c" word, but when I looked up "contiguous" I discovered that means more like what Alaska and Hawaii are....hi wow, hi JohnHawaii!

Know how you get a feeling for a word in your head, but the word itself refuses to take shape and make sense of itself for you?

Or am I just whistling Dixie? [whistling-e]

Posted By: Bean Re: quick help needed - 04/04/03 11:20 AM
The Royal St. John's Regatta phrases it like this:

North America's Oldest Continuing Sporting Event

meaning that they've had races every years since 1826. Still a "c" word, but it's neither continuous nor continual. I don't know if this is the word you were thinking of.

Posted By: Faldage Re: quick help needed - 04/04/03 11:38 AM
What's wrong with continual?

"… continual…refers to something happening repeatedly, but with intervals in between."

Posted By: Bean Re: quick help needed - 04/04/03 11:40 AM
What's wrong with continual?

From a dictionary standpoint (and among us word-geeks), probably nothing, but it's just not commonly used that way. Or maybe I'm biased because I've heard the Regatta tag line (see above) one too many times.

Posted By: RubyRed Re: quick help needed - 04/05/03 08:02 AM
>Know how you get a feeling for a word in your head, but the word itself refuses to take shape and make sense of itself for you?<

Uh huh! I HATE when that happens!

Posted By: RubyRed Re: quick help needed - 04/05/03 08:06 AM
Would 'constant' have worked in your article?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: quick help needed - 04/05/03 01:36 PM
as resident obviousizer, I am going to rephrase Faldage's question: you yourself gave us the word continual, "which refers to something happening repeatedly, but with intervals in between". this seemed to be precisely the notion that you posed, and yet you rejected the word out of hand for not matching your "feeling". is that *all that's wrong with continual? wouldn't it have worked for your needs? Are you just whistling Dixie?!

-ron

[note to self]
there must be a word for rejecting a seemingly plausible word choice 'cuz it doesn't feel right..

Posted By: Capfka Re: quick help needed - 04/05/03 02:15 PM
there must be a word for rejecting a seemingly plausible word choice 'cuz it doesn't feel right..

You mean other than "bloodymindedness"?

- ron o jr
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: quick help needed - 04/05/03 08:43 PM
I like Jackie's ongoing. That's what I would use.

Posted By: Jackie Re: quick help needed - 04/06/03 04:09 AM
Scraplogos?

© Wordsmith.org