Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Logodaedaly - 03/08/03 08:25 PM
wwh noted this word on "Weekly Themes"--and I'm wondering whether it may have derived from Joyce's Stephen Daedalus's name...? Seems logical. WordDaedalusly = logodaedaly

Anybody know?

Posted By: wwh Re: Logodaedaly - 03/08/03 08:47 PM
Dear WW: Joyce got it from Greek mythology. I'll PM you.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Logodaedaly - 03/08/03 08:52 PM
whether it may have derived from Joyce's Stephen Daedalus's name

Not unless someone back in the early 18th century was psychic. It's from the Greek logo(s), word + daidalos, cunning.

Posted By: wwh Re: Logodaedaly - 03/08/03 08:59 PM
Dear Faldage: which came first, the Labyrinth designeer, or the word describing his talent?
I suspect the talent word derived from the name of the protypic rocket scientist.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Logodaedaly - 03/08/03 09:17 PM
I suspect the talent word derived from the name of the protypic rocket scientist

I dunno, Dr Bill. Usually the names of mythic characters are descriptive. Graves defines daidalos as cunningly wrought in his Greek Myths as does my Greek dictionary. Dai is used to express wonder or curiosity and daidallo means to work cunningly.

Posted By: wwh Re: Logodaedaly - 03/08/03 09:54 PM
And we will never know which came first, the hen or the egg.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Logodaedaly - 03/08/03 10:04 PM
Thanks, Faldage. I didn't have access to the word's history. I'd just wondered--if it had been a modern creation--whether Joyce might have been the inspiration.

wwh: I well know the Icarus/Daedalus myth. But I was leap-frogging forward and Faldage's frogmarched toward the truth. (Hi, tsuwm! )

Posted By: wow Re: Logodaedaly - 03/09/03 02:20 PM
daidallo means to work cunningly.

And the meaning of cunning, (OED) is knowledgeable, learned
possessing practical knowledge or skill, dexterous. Ingenious,skilfully contrived or executed. Crafty, deceit and evasive are way down on the list although that is the meaning most people (not all!) associate with "cunning " these days.

Posted By: TEd Remington we will never know which came first - 03/09/03 10:31 PM
Reminds me of a cartoon of a rooster and an egg lying in a rumpled bed; the rooster, taking a puff on a post-coital cigarette, says, "well, that answers THAT question."

Posted By: Faldage Re: we will never know which came first - 03/09/03 11:08 PM
that answers THAT question

Well, since there were eggs long before there were chickens…

Posted By: wwh Re: Logodaedaly - 03/12/03 09:54 PM
Here's a new "logo" - logogriph = a confusing or enigmatical statement.
Seems a variant of:
ogogriph
n.
5LOGO3 + Gr griphos, fishing basket, riddle, prob. < IE *grebh3 > CRIB6 a word puzzle, as an anagram

Posted By: Wordwind Re: logogriph - 03/13/03 01:35 AM
Love it!

Posted By: wwh Re: logogriph - 03/13/03 01:50 AM
Dear WW: you'll like it even better when it's spelled right. = "logogryph". And I can't even claim
it was a typo. I just goofed. Another senile moment. I made a correction, but it somehow got
lost. I also managed to lose a whole page of definitions I had ready for Beheading Words.Sob,sob!

© Wordsmith.org