Posted By: wwh disinterest - 02/17/03 09:35 PM
From latest Vocabula Review:
"He was one of those
men who take the news very seriously, almost seeming to brood over
it, but in a way I found attractive. He thought Bill Clinton clownish
and outrageous, but also thought the degradation of him wasn't at
all good for the country. He thought about things like that — the
good of the country — in a way that suggested genuine disinterest of
a sort that has long ago gone out of style.

This usage conforms with the first definition in my dictionary. But I find myself using the
second definition only.

disinterest
n.
1 lack of personal or selfish interest; disinterestedness
2 lack of interest or concern; indifference

Comments, please.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: disinterest - 02/17/03 09:40 PM
I would agree, BIll. I have to work at hearing the first def...

Posted By: wwh Re: disinterest - 02/17/03 10:04 PM
The next question, what would have been a better word? "impartiality" - doesn't seem
strong enough.

Posted By: sjm Re: disinterest - 02/17/03 10:13 PM
Yep, I know the first definition, but use the second much more often, even knowing I oughtn't.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: disinterest - 02/17/03 10:21 PM
I try to avoid the second definition altogether because the first is more interesting to me.

What we often hear is someone is disinterested meaning uninterested, and I do not like that application at all.

However, I think when I use "disinterested" for "selflessness," I am probably misunderstood in my intended meaning, so I'm careful with whom I use the term "disinterested." Know your audience; first rule of rhetoric. Besides, the word "selflessness" does the job better within the framework of what I guess to be most people's understanding.

wwh, in your quote above, I would take "disinterest" to mean "selflessness."

Posted By: Faldage Re: disinterest - 02/17/03 10:25 PM
Certainly when it's a question of disinterested vs. uninterested the choice is clear for those concerned with maintaining useful distinctions, but to speak of uninterest seems a little awkward. Perhaps in a way that suggested genuine lack of interest of
a sort...

Posted By: sjm Re: disinterest - 02/17/03 11:42 PM
I have never thought of the first definition as indicatng selflessness, merely objectivity, a lack of personal involvement. I am a disinterested spectator of the America's Cup - I watch it objcetively, trying to discern who is sailing better, but I would never say my spectating was selfless.

Posted By: Faldage Re: disinterest - 02/17/03 11:52 PM
never say my spectating was selfless

Exactly. Disinterested means unconcerned with partisan matters. The umpire in a sporting event must be disinterested or at least act in a disinterested matter. Selflessness has nothing to do with it, it's just being fair and judging events on their own merits.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: disinterest - 02/18/03 12:32 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I was out-to-lunch on this one.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: disinterest - 02/18/03 12:58 AM
Interested in this interest in disinterest, I looked into MW online and found this paragraph--and like especially the London quote:

usage Disinterested and uninterested have a tangled history. Uninterested orig. meant impartial, but this sense fell into disuse during the 18th century. About the same time the original sense of disinterested also disappeared, with uninterested developing a new sense--the present meaning--to take its place. The original sense of uninterested is still out of use, but the original sense of disinterested revived in the early 20th century. The revival has since been under frequent attack as an illiteracy and a blurring or loss of a useful distinction. Actual usage shows otherwise. Sense 2 of disinterested is still its most frequent sense, especially in edited prose; it shows no sign of vanishing. A careful writer may choose sense 1a of disinterested in preference to uninterested for emphasis <teaching the letters of the alphabet to her wiggling and supremely disinterested little daughter -- C. L. Sulzberger>. Further, disinterested has developed a sense (1b), perhaps influenced by sense 1 of the prefix dis-, that contrasts with uninterested <when I grow tired or disinterested in anything, I experience a disgust -- Jack London (letter, 1914)>. Still, use of senses 1a and 1b will incur the disapproval of some who may not fully appreciate the history of this word or the subtleties of its present use.

I have gotten a good dose of education this night and have enjoyed my meal of crow.

Posted By: wwh Re: disinterest - 02/18/03 01:32 AM
Dear WW: Methinks the lady protesteth too much.

Posted By: sjm Re: disinterest - 02/18/03 01:41 AM
Methinks the lady protesteth too much.
Or, as most standardised Shakespeare texts read:
Hamlet, Prince of Denmark
Act 3, Scene 2

QUEEN GERTRUDE The lady protests too much, methinks.

Posted By: wwh Re: disinterest - 02/18/03 01:48 AM
Dear sjm: my worn-out tags get bedraggled.

© Wordsmith.org