Wordsmith.org
Posted By: markw dongled - 10/26/00 02:09 AM
My daughter is reading 'The Fifth of March - a story of the boston massacre' by Ann Rinaldi in her reading class - fifth grade.

There is a reference to the word 'dongled' in a sentence and I can't find an appropriate definition. I'm aware of the term as it is used in reference to computers - hardly the case in a revolutionary war timeframe.

So...... here's the sentence out of the book "Have the children settled down since being dongled awake by those tyrannical cannons?"

Any ideas -

Posted By: Jackie Re: dongled - 10/26/00 02:58 AM
Welcome aBoard, markw.

Although a "ding, dong' sound is used more generally for bells than cannons, my guess is that this word is a combination of dong and jangled.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: dongled - 10/26/00 03:09 AM
maybe it is a nonce inflection of dong, meant to suggest a deep sound, as that of a large bell -- I'm thinking along the lines of the "1812 Overture" with bells and cannons.

Posted By: shanks Re: dongled - 10/26/00 07:51 AM
I'd tend to agree with Jackie and tsuwm - dongled probably means woken up by a loud reverbrating noise - as from nearby church bells.

Posted By: paulb Re: dongled - 10/26/00 09:08 AM
Shorter Oxford only has --

Dongle: [Computing] A software protection device which must be plugged into a computer to enable the protected software to be used on it --

which is no use at all in the context of the book!

Posted By: markw Re: dongled - 10/26/00 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone - the ringing of bells and the echo of cannons was what we were thinking!

Posted By: Father Steve Dongle: verb or noun? - 10/30/00 11:13 PM
I ran all my best sources (British and American) for a usage of the verb "to dongle" as you found it in your child's text ... without success. In the process, I learned a great deal about dongles -- devices which attach to a data port on a PC to limit access to a particular application, as part of a security package.

© Wordsmith.org