Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Applause, applause - 01/17/03 01:33 AM
I just used the clapping smiley in an IM, and that made me wonder something: how did the act of clapping hands come to be called applauding? "CLAP", I can see, because it sounds like that. But why 'applaud'? (FTR--I know the word 'laud', but lauding can be oral or written. How'd the 'app-' get onto the beginning, for clapping?)

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Applause, applause - 01/17/03 04:58 AM
My Canuck Oxford sez "applaud" is from the Latin applaudere - which it follows with "applaus - clap hands"...

So I looked up "ovation" because this post got me wondering about it, too:

1. an enthusiastic reception, esp. spontaneous and sustained applause
2. Rom. Hist. a lesser form of triumph

also ovational - Latin ovatio from ovare to exult

Went for dinner with a friend t'other day and we found Ovation chocolate sticks on the bill when we went to the counter to pay. He held his up and said, "And we're standing...." I'm sad to say I didn't get it - he had to explain...!

In Kingston, practically everything gets a standing ovation - not because practically everything here deserves it, but because either

a) people want to be on their feet so they can rush out to the parking lot immediately following the performance,

OR

b) people want to persuade themselves that their ticket was worth the price.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Applause, applause - 01/17/03 08:16 AM
Applaudere was formed from Ad + plaudere, whereby plaudere already meant "to clap hands". Plausible is also derived from the same root.

© Wordsmith.org