Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/03/03 11:47 AM
Posted By: Faldage Re: Macedonia - 01/03/03 02:03 PM
Considering that the land was called Makedonia when the Romans were pulling garlic bulbs outta the earth for a living and I'm not sure how you'd get Makedonia from any Latin meaning Great Land anyway. I'd say the teacher is all wet.

Posted By: Rubrick Everything you need to know - 01/03/03 02:05 PM
If it's not here then you're out of luck!

http://faq.macedonia.org/history/

Posted By: rav Re: Everything you need to know - 01/03/03 03:26 PM
wordwind, i'm afraid you are out of luck.. if i may quote what i found somewhere:
Touching the derivation of the name Macedonia, I confess myself, with sorrow, equally at fault. Among a multitude of opinions upon this delicate point- some acute, some learned, some sufficiently the reverse -- I am able to select nothing which ought to be considered satisfactory.
oh well.. i wouldn't be surprised if macedonian wouldn't know it themselves..

Posted By: Capfka Re: Everything you need to know - 01/03/03 08:56 PM
Actually. after reading the first two essays in Rubrick's link, I'd say that both of them are likely to be wrong. The answer appears to be "No one knows"!

- Pfranz
Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/04/03 12:50 AM
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Everything you need to know - 01/04/03 12:57 AM
Hippiness is a warm poppy.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Macedonia - 01/09/03 05:07 AM
FWIW, a macedoine de fruits or macedonia di frutta is a mixture of chopped fruits with their juices, or what we call a fruit cocktail. Seems that the chopped up nature of it has to do with Macedonia. Just like a salade russe consists of chopped vegetables. Go figure.

© Wordsmith.org