Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Darrell What is the word? - 09/27/00 05:25 PM
What is the word that describes words that sound alike but are spelled differently like "sea and see"?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: What is the word? - 09/27/00 07:16 PM
Try homophone

Posted By: Jackie Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 01:34 AM
Hi, Darrell, good to have you.

'Nother piece of trivia: if the same set of letters can be re-arranged to make two or more different words, the words are anagrams of each other.

Posted By: Bingley Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 01:37 PM
For completeness' sake:

homophone: same sound, different spelling, e.g., right (correct) and rite (ceremony)

homograph: different spelling, same sound, e.g., tear (water from your eye) tear (rip)

homonym: same sound, same spelling, e.g., bear (animal), bear (carry)

Row, of course, is a homophone, homograph, and homonym.
row (propel boat) v. roe (fish eggs)
row (propel boat) v. row (argument)
row (propel boat) v. row (line)

Bingley
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 02:30 PM
homograph: different spelling, same sound, e.g., tear (water from your eye) tear (rip)

Deliberate mistake time?

BTW, I thought that a homophone was a gay chat line.

Posted By: maverick Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 02:43 PM
homophone was a gay chat line...

No, surely it's the long distance service used by backspeaking aliens?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 02:55 PM
long distance service used by backspeaking aliens?

It's no good, but I give up. Maybe it's too late in the day (nearly knocking off time) [which I suppose means something else to many board members - to me it means "home time"] or maybe I'm terminally stupid. what the blazes do you mean, Mav?

Posted By: Jackie Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 03:27 PM
what the blazes do you mean, Mav?

I thought this was a ref. to the movie ET (extra-terrestrial), with its famous line, "ET, phone home".

Posted By: maverick Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 04:39 PM
"ET, phone home"

And can you just imagine the cross-currents of cultural confusion over those distances

Jackie and I are obviously on a worryingly bizzare tangent, here!

Posted By: maverick Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 05:13 PM
its famous line

And a big hand for J who with 700 posts to her name must be just about able to string a cable to ET

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 07:21 PM
And a big hand for J who with 700 posts to her name must be just about able to string a cable to ET

oh boy, that means just 100 more until we find out what the next title is!!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 07:52 PM
...which won't be too long a wait at all!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: What is the word? - 09/28/00 07:54 PM
Gah!! I stand corrected. Jackie, upon reaching 700 posts has become an "Old Hand". The left side of my brain assured me that the next title would come at 800.

(Goes off to sit in a dark closet.)

Posted By: Bingley Re: What is the word? - 09/29/00 09:06 AM
In reply to:

Deliberate mistake time?

Humble apologies, time to prostrate myself in the gutter etc. It should read
" homograph: same spelling, different sound, e.g., tear (water from your eye) tear (rip)",

as indeed it did until I decided to make it clearer!

Bingley

Posted By: vithi Re: What is the word? - 09/30/00 06:16 PM
homophone and homonym

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: What is the word? - 10/04/00 11:27 AM
I thought this was a ref. to the movie ET

Thank you, Jackie, you have saved the day again. I should have picked up this ref, even though I did not see the film. As you say, the line IS famous enough for it to be generally - indeed, universally - known.

Mav's remark does raise a question, though. What do you do with all those posts, Jackie? Do you string your washing line between them? Do you play the last one at sundown each day? Do tell!

Posted By: Jackie Re: What is the word? - 10/04/00 12:52 PM
ET is "universally" known--GOOD one!

Now--thanks very much, to you and tsuwm both, for making me want to slide under my chair in complete mortification.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What is the word? - 10/04/00 05:05 PM
Do you play the last one at sundown each day? Do tell!

Would this be a reference to that exotic game called cricket?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: What is the word? - 10/04/00 05:24 PM
reveille... post... taps = bugle calls (sunrise, sunset, lights out)

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: What is the word? - 10/04/00 06:52 PM
Would this be a reference to that exotic game called cricket?[\green]

Aah, yes. The identifying mark of Americans, an inability to grasp the wonder that is cricket. Apart from Meat Loaf and John Paul Getty Junior, I can't think of any Americans I've heard of or had contact with who can appreciate the glory of cricket. "Baseball on valium" was one description I read somewhere. Tragic! The real tragedy is the imagery lost to Americans through the alienation from cricket, "playing with a straight bat" and, of course, "it's just not cricket" spring to mind, to say nothing of the fact that cricket is the only game in which one can bowl a maiden over on live television.

Posted By: Bridget Re: What is the word? - 10/05/00 08:54 AM
Max, there was a whole thread on cricket v baseball before you or I started. Up to you whether you look it up or not, but I warn you be very careful what you say in this area

And apparently there is a US VP in my company who loves cricket. So that makes at least three.

Posted By: paulb Re: Cricket - 10/05/00 11:09 AM
<"playing with a straight bat" and, of course, "it's just not cricket">

Max, these phrases have taken a bit of a tumble recently -- perhaps its time to try some new ones!

© Wordsmith.org