Wordsmith.org
Posted By: matilda words not yet in the dictionary - 11/04/02 03:32 AM
My child has to come up with some words that are not yet in the dictionary, but that probably will be the next time it comes out. For the life of me, I can't think of anything but "Enronomics" -- anybody got a few?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: words not yet in the dictionary - 11/04/02 04:39 AM
>not yet in the dictionary, but that probably will be the next time it comes out.

a couple that have come up here: bushonics, webzine, perhaps google.

but.. um.. which dictionary??

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: words not yet in the dictionary - 11/04/02 07:17 AM
Welcome to the monkey house, Matilda. Do you waltz?

Like tsuwm says - well not here, but I'm sure he would have if he'd wanted to - there are dictionaries and then there are dictionaries. Which one would you be looking in?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: words not yet in the dictionary - 11/04/02 01:14 PM
Burrell Collection may acquire a subsidiary meaning to the present one (a museum in Glasgow, Scotland) conveying the idea of something embarrassing to those in power.

(- and talking about embarrassing, it has taken me three attempts to spell that word correctly! )

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: words not yet in the dictionary - 11/04/02 03:00 PM
blog

Posted By: Maurice Re: words not yet in the dictionary - 11/04/02 03:16 PM
Cribbensesque (as in alike unto Bernard Cribbens) is yet to appear I do believe. Although surely it can only be a matter of time....

Luncheon meat goes down very well with cherryade.
Posted By: RhubarbCommando blog - 11/04/02 03:19 PM
TEd, how do you rate the chances of "blog" being included in "the next edition", as Matilda has asked?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: blog - 11/04/02 03:39 PM
the next edition of OED will include their word-of-the-day:
spamming, n. NEW EDITION: draft entry June 2001
Computing slang.
The practice of sending irrelevant, inappropriate, or unsolicited postings or e-mails over the Internet, esp. indiscriminately and in very large numbers; an instance of this.

[1993 Wired Dec. 32/4 Spammin'To speak aimlessly on a mishmash of topics. To stuff someone's brain with information of questionable content.] 1994 San Francisco Chron. (Nexis) 28 Apr. E7 People around the world started flooding Canter and Siegel's mailbox, sending junk faxes to the fax number that was in the ad, and basically doing everything possible to overload them. (This is known as spamming.) 1995 Wired Mar. 46/1 Boldt lists the e-mail addresses of people responsible for junk e-mail and Net spamming so you can easily add them to your kill file or mail bomb 'em back. 1999 Independent 7 Dec. I. 15/6 The practice of flooding e-mail, ‘spamming’ in English, meanwhile is pollu-postage, from pollution and public post.

Posted By: matilda Re: words not yet in the dictionary - 11/05/02 03:34 AM
Wow! I wish we had known what the heck Blog was because I think that's the only one that would have worked! Turns out trashed is in a dictionary, somewhere, but that's what he's going with because he has to be able to site it in print in various places. Now that I know it's from weblog, now I have to figure out what the devil that is.......

© Wordsmith.org