Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bridget Dried words - 09/12/00 10:43 AM
Prune - dried plum
straw - dried grass
hay - dried grass
raisin - dried grape
sultana - dried grape
(I believe raisins have pips and sultanas don't, or the other way around. If I'm wrong, someone will surely let me know...)

But the real question is:
are there any other words that have an inherent meaning of 'dried something'?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Dried words - 09/12/00 08:07 PM
But the real question is:
are there any other words that have an inherent meaning of 'dried something'?

Jerky? I had to hunt for it, Merriam-Webster.com defines jerky as "jerked meat" then fails to define "jerked", but dictionary.com says that "jerk" in that sense is a back-formation from jerky and means, "To cut (meat) into long strips and dry in the sun or cure by exposing to smoke." Does that count?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Dried words - 09/12/00 08:35 PM
loofah - the dried fibrous part of the gourd-like fruit of a plant of the genus Luffa, used as a bath or shower sponge

bodewash - buffalo chips (or cow dung), esp. when dried and burned as fuel

Posted By: Jackie Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 01:03 AM
Dang, tsuwm, you took mine!
Don't they have an annual cow-chip toss, somewhere out West?

I suppose if you can put loofah, I can list sponge, although either can also be wet. I've seen divers come up
with a load of sponges off the coast of Florida--neat!

Posted By: Lucy Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 02:44 AM
Does 'pot pourri' count? I know that it can generically mean a stew, but its most common use would seem to fit the thread.

Posted By: johnjohn Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 06:46 AM
desiccated coconut = dried coconut. Does that count? :0)

Posted By: Bridget Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 08:10 AM
johnjohn, I think desiccated coconut is pushing it. If we let this in, we could allow desiccated anything!

However, pot pourri has me in at least two minds!

Inspired by Max, I add biltong!

Posted By: jmh Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 09:12 AM
I thing that desiccation might answer the original question. I was told some time ago that that getting older was largely to do with desiccation!

des·ic·ca·tion ('des-i-`kā-shən)
n.
The act or process of desiccating or the state of being or becoming desiccated ;esp
A complete or nearly complete deprivation of moisture (as by vaporization or by evaporation) or of water not chemically combined
dehydration <from the long-wave diathermy machine two distinct currents are obtained which produce ~ and electrocoagulation respectively - W. H. Schmidt> (Gurunet)

Posted By: Jackie Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 09:35 AM
"Electrocoagulation"?!?!
Sounds horripilifying! I did LIU, and it surely must be.

Posted By: Bridget Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 11:30 AM
The reason I'm anti desiccation (apart from its association with aging!) is that the word desiccation is about drying out, but not strongly about anything else. It doesn't give you a picture of the specific thing.

A prune is a dried plum and not a dried anything else. The word has 'dried' and 'plum' inextricably tied up in its meaning. I don't see a thing in desiccation. Does that make sense?

Posted By: Bridget Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 11:32 AM
ie, what would be the 'undesiccated' version of 'desiccation'?
There needs to be a word there in the first place that can be 'dried' by changing it to another word.

(...aieee I worry about my brain sometimes....)

Posted By: wsieber Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 01:24 PM
>the 'undesiccated' version of 'desiccation'<
Hi Bridget,
I see what you mean, here. But the prefix "de" doesn't always convey a privative function as e.g. in depreciation or degradation. If you take deflagration or deambulation (and many others, straight from Latin), the prefix rather implies a prolonged, exhaustive or repetitive action, and this is the case with desiccation. I felt concerned because in chemistry we do quite a lot of desiccation.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 02:32 PM
what would be the 'undesiccated' version of 'desiccation'?

How 'bout hydration or hydrated, Sweetie?

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 08:26 PM
hydrogen and oxygen = dried water

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Dried words - 09/13/00 10:43 PM
[A prune is a dried plum and not a dried anything else. The word has 'dried' and 'plum' inextricably tied up in its meaning.

That was how I read the question, also. I took it to be asking for a noun that uniquely applied to something which is in a dessicated state. How about "desert"?

Posted By: wsieber Re: Dried words - 09/14/00 04:59 AM
>How 'bout hydration or hydrated, Sweetie?<
This belongs to the first category. Dehydrated is "de-prived of water". Now that you say sweetie - what about biscuit?

Posted By: wsieber Re: Dried words - 09/14/00 05:49 AM
>Does 'pot pourri' count? ..seem to fit the thread.<
'Pot pourri' fits well nigh any of our threads here . (the expression lost any connection with pourri = 'rotten'.)

Posted By: johnjohn Re: Dried words - 09/14/00 07:44 AM
<desiccated coconut = dried coconut. Does that count? :0)>

- it was a joke, sorry if anyone took it seriously!!!!!!

Posted By: jmh Re: Dried words - 09/15/00 07:33 AM
>it was a joke, sorry if anyone took it seriously

Does anyone take anything seriously here?????

Posted By: wsieber Re: Dried words - 09/15/00 10:57 AM
Does anyone take anything seriously here?????

I seriously hope so .

Posted By: maverick Re: Dried words - 09/15/00 04:52 PM
SO with dried meat,fruit and other goodies, would it be fair to suggest the vendor be known as a dessicaletan?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Dried words - 09/15/00 05:12 PM
>dessicaletan

you... you... exsiccated old costermonger you.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Dried words - 09/15/00 06:22 PM
SO with dried meat,fruit and other goodies, would it be fair to suggest the vendor be known as a dessicaletan?

No, no, see (merciful heavens--the eight-armed dancing one must be rubbing off on me--help!), the SHOP would be
the dessicatelan. The OWNER would then be the dessicator/dessicatrix, and we'd all have to take the escalator to get to the dessicated goods...and then designate our choices, and decimate our pocketbooks, and delegate which child got to carry what, relegating the lightest package to the youngest child, and when we got home
we'd celebrate, as I am the end of this sentence!

So welcome, maverick, and I think it is obvious that I need more sleep (or something)! You got a unique welcome, and aren't we all glad??

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Dried words - 09/15/00 08:30 PM
and I think it is obvious that I need more sleep (or something)! You got a unique welcome, and aren't we all glad??

Oh yeah, well I do my babbling while I'm wide awake!

Posted By: maverick Re: Dried words - 09/18/00 04:26 PM
Hi and thanks for the welcome!

As a BB virgin it's a pleasure to converse with such afficionados as yourself and the singularly useful word man.

Off-string, but still thinking acronymically, what about Vague Existance, Save by Telephone for the world wide weird generation addicted to BBs?

Returning to diessection of dessications, how about: GUANO

Posted By: Jackie Re: Dried words - 09/18/00 08:10 PM
Golly, now we have a maverick and a cowboy, so all we need
for a rodeo would be bull--oh, never mind, we have plenty of that!

Mav, when you said you were a BB virgin, I was looking for
an A and an L to be added on to your acronym of VEST !

Posted By: maverick Re: Dried words - 09/19/00 05:20 PM
No, just stringin' along :)

Posted By: Jackie Re: Dried words - 09/20/00 01:55 AM
No, just stringin' along :)

A g-string? (She said, returning to the gutter.)
Ooh, can we see?

Posted By: Bridget Re: Dried words - 09/20/00 09:21 AM
>what about Vague Existance, Save by Telephone for the world wide weird generation addicted to BBs?<

Surely not Telephone? They'll all be on the web and totally impossible to get through to...

How about Generally Electronic Exchange of Knowledge?

© Wordsmith.org