Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Denali - 09/12/02 10:44 AM
How should this mountain be pronounced?

Thanks,
WW

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Denali - 09/12/02 11:27 AM
Ice-breaker: d'-NAH-ee

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Denali - 09/12/02 12:36 PM
was the 'l' left off by accident or intent?

k

Posted By: wofahulicodoc a.k.a.... - 09/12/02 12:48 PM
Oops! Accident. Thanks.

Try again: d'-NAH-lee (almost sounds like something out of Myst, doesn't it?)

For more information see http://www.alaska.net/~denst1/mountain.html.
(second paragraph)

Posted By: wwh Re: Denali - 09/12/02 12:54 PM

Denali National Park and
Preserve
[dunäl'E]
Pronunciation Key

muh-KIN-lee

Touche ! :-)

'Parturiunt Montes-Nascitur Ridiculus Mus'-

>muh-KIN-lee

'Splain please for this ignorant upworlder. Is this another case where a name imposed by colonial aggressors has been replaced by that used prior to the arrival of said imperialists? This has happened in Australia with Uluru, and in NZ with just about every mountain there is. First in, first served has always seemed a simple enough philosophy, so I have no problem with geographical features reverting to pre-European nomenclature. Pity shanks is not here, we could have done the whole Bombay/Mumbai thing again

You'v got it.. Mt McKinley=Denali=Highest peak in North America...(somewhere in Alaska)

Mt Washington, NH, (don't know its previous name) highest peak on east coast, also vies for worst weather in the world.. but that's because the US Weather service has a station there, so its weather is well documented.

the only time i was at the top of Mt Washington (mid July) we got caught in a snowstorm, with a white out condition. you couldn't see 10 feet ahead! we took the cog railrail (i wanted to drive!) and only found the train because it blew the whistle-- we couldn't see it until we were practically on it! it was 90°F., at base (35° c. or about)and 35°F (1°c) at the top!

Just a note:

We're voting at our school for the name of our mascot, the husky, just so our husky will have a name. I was thinking about possible candidates and came up with these:

Alaska
Tundra
Klondike

...and I thought McKinley would be good, but, since it's been changed to Denali out of regard for native Americans there, I thought to also propose Denali. Hence the question here: how to pronounce it. I really like the sound of McKinley better, but guess it wouldn't be good to work against the change.

Balto would have been good, too, but it's definitely male and the PTA thought it might be good to have a name that would work for both girls and boys.

Yukon is an other thought...

or Golden (anything).. since gold is associated with Alaska

or Seward (since alaska was called Sewards folly, when he pushed for the purchase of Alaska from russia...)
edit: Dr bill just pointed out i had sewart not Seward -- and Inicidentally, you might enjoy reminding board that he bought Alaska for $7,200,000
and got ridiculed for it.

Posted By: wow Re: Name the dog! - 09/13/02 11:54 AM
Robert Service poems could be consulted He is called "The Poet of the North"
Or how about the stories of Alaska by Jack London?
My vote : White Fang

Too bad it's not a horse. Then you could watch McKinley canter.

So what name was chosen? I like Klondike, but you have to avoid that; you know what comments would be made by the opposition.

Posted By: troubador How do u pronouce Chukchi? - 10/06/02 02:17 AM
Alaska, Tundra, Klondike, McKinley, Denali
The Husky, often associated with Alaska, is actually the Siberian Husky as this history relates:
The Siberian Husky is, and has for centuries been, a purebred dog ... . The breed was originally developed by the Chukchi people of northeastern Asia as an endurance sled dog. In 1909, the first large numbers of these Chukchi dogs were brought to Alaska to compete in the long-distance All-Alaska Sweepstakes races, and the Alaskan dog drivers quickly recognized the ability of these huskies from Siberia.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: How do u pronouce Chukchi? - 10/06/02 05:23 AM
I think it's:

CHOOK-chee

...there may be a Chukchi Sea...???

© Wordsmith.org