Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 08/30/00 03:35 AM
Posted By: Jackie Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/30/00 03:47 AM
Actually, the contents of drawers has been discussed here.
Either your lady is even more prone to being unconventional than I am, or she lives in a far-removed part of the country. I always hear the term as boxers, and cannot imagine saying " a pair of boxer".

Posted By: Bingley Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/30/00 04:49 AM
Maths is the usual term in England, and as far as I know other parts of the UK. I would imagine it is in Australia as well. I don't know what they call it in Canada, but math seems to be the word in the US.

Bingley
Posted By: emanuela Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/30/00 06:00 AM
I am a mathematician, and I have always seen "Department of Mathematics" shortened as "Dept of Maths" (in every English speaking country).
Ciao
Emanuela

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 08/30/00 06:14 AM
Posted By: Jackie Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/30/00 11:03 AM
Ah, I see. I have always thought that it must be very difficult, and therefore truly wonderful, to get so involved in another culture that you learn all of the little idiosyncrasies of their language.
My hat is off to you brave souls who have done/are attempting that!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/30/00 11:42 AM
Right-o, Bingley. In the U.S. it's "math" (I wouldn't even know how to pronounce "maths" without needing a kleenex)

Posted By: apples + oranges Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/30/00 01:33 PM
Bingley said he/she doesn't know what they call it in Canada. Well I live in Canada and I call it math.

Posted By: william Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/30/00 01:52 PM
apples and oranges, what a wonderful name!
makes me want to eat a piece of fruit, or at least make a cocktail out of one.

>>" a pair of boxer".

this reminds me of the "shopspeak" used by salespeople.
this is when you're looking at a pair of shoes and the staff member sidles up and offers "mmmm yes. they're a lovely shoe."
or with trousers: "they're a trans-seasonal pant".
has anyone else run into this peculiar version of plural or is it just in australia?

annastrophic, how are you with "months"?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/30/00 02:25 PM
Thank you for your question, william. I can usually handle "months" since the "th" is sort of vocalized, unlike its sister phoneme in "maths"... muntz to you.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/31/00 04:15 AM
Anna, how would you pronounce "paths" and "baths" (or even "raths")? If you don't have the Southern British short and long "a" distinction I think they would rhyme with "maths".

Bingley
Posted By: Bingley Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/31/00 04:20 AM
By the way, what is a trans-seasonal pant? One of tsuwm's sighs lasting into the autumn?

Bingley
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 08/31/00 04:27 AM
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 08/31/00 02:13 PM
Anna, how would you pronounce "paths" and "baths" (or even "raths")? If you don't have the Southern British short
and long "a" distinction I think they would rhyme with "maths".

The example I thought of was "moths" - that has the same sort of soft "th" as "maths."

All right, already. If y'all MUST know, I stay away from all those. I'm on a diet and the doctor told me to avoid consonant clusters.

Posted By: jmh The one where we taught AnnaS to speak proply - 03/26/02 09:20 AM
Following Faldage's mention of an old posting about Math/maths, here's a blast from the archives ....

You might also like "Jackie on drawers"!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Nice Eastertide resurrection, Jo! - 03/26/02 11:25 AM

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/26/02 07:27 PM
Dear Max: Must I?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/26/02 08:27 PM
Re: The one where we taught AnnaS to speak proply

"proply" reminded me of a word I haven't heard for a very long time. I used to keep bees. The bees are very careful not to leave any empty spaces in the hive, in which moths that destroy the wax comb may breed. They leave just enough room for worker bees to get through, and fill up any extra space with a mixture of pine or other resins mixed with wax, called "propolis". Sometimes this causes the sections of the hive or the frames that hold the honeycomb to adhere to each other, making it difficult to remove the honey containing boxes without a frame from section below being removed. This makes the bees very angry, and I used to get a lot of stings this way.

For a URL about bee hives, boxes, frames, etc.

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/bkCD/equipment/hive_equip.htm#plans

Posted By: hev Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 03/26/02 11:20 PM
WELCOME apples+oranges!!

I don't really have anything else to say ... but glad you're here and hope you stay.

Hev
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 03/26/02 11:44 PM
Er, Hev, check the date on apples + oranges' post

Posted By: hev Re: Abbreviations and "s" - 03/26/02 11:58 PM
Oops! That's what I get for changing default views. Going back to threaded now... That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it! Now, y'all leave me alone, ok?

Hev