Wordsmith.org
Posted By: modestgoddess -ed words (eg, naked) - 06/20/02 03:01 AM
Have thought of another burning question: are there any other words that end in -ed, as "naked" does, that are not past tenses of verbs? I can't think of any. Words, that is, that make no sense if you take the "d" or "ed" off the end. You can slake your thirst, and then it is slaked; you can bake your pie, and then it is a baked good. You can spurn your lover, and then he or she is spurned. But "naked" don't work that way; you cannot "nake" (much though you might try!). Are there any other words like it? ending in an -ed that, if removed, creates a non-word?

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: -ed words (eg, naked) - 06/20/02 04:26 AM
Lots of single syllable ones...

As for others...

kindred?

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: -ed words (eg, naked) - 06/20/02 01:51 PM
Ah, excellent. I was beginning to think there weren't any....Hadn't even considered single-syllable ones, I guess because I was thinking in terms of the syllable that remains once the -d or -ed is gone from "naked." Didn't occur to me to consider something like "bed." B. !!

But there must be more than "kindred" of the longer variety?

Posted By: reed Re: -ed words (eg, naked) - 06/20/02 09:18 PM
How about acned (anyone know what that means?), weed, airspeed, bleed, coed, creed, screed
and sled?

Not to mention my name, which really is reed.

Posted By: wwh Re: -ed words (eg, naked) - 06/20/02 09:22 PM
hundred bed fed

sged deleted
Posted By: modestgoddess OF COURSE! - 06/21/02 12:40 AM
reed, welcome to AWADtalk! and thank you for the long list - I knew it couldn't be right that "naked" and "kindred" were the only two long-ish ones....but I just couldn't think of more. Silly me.

Bill, what is sged?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: OF COURSE! - 06/21/02 01:00 AM
abed shed red

Proper nouns--Ted, Fred, Ned, Jed, and Ed

[I've forgotten what everybody else has already listed, so forgive any repetition here.]

Posted By: modestgoddess Proper names - 06/21/02 01:34 AM
If you take away the "ed" from "Ed," does he become the Invisible Man?!

© Wordsmith.org