Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill gee-whizery - 05/02/02 04:07 PM
Came across gee-whizery in an article about remote-controlled rats, today. I like it...it sort of has a refreshing semantic blend of gadgetry and clever wizardy (so to speak...anyway, I caught the image immediately upon encountering the word and thought "cool"). Has anyone seen gee-whizery before?

Here's the article url for reference:

http://dailynews.netscape.com/dailynews/cnn/story_2.tmpl?story=2002050209095001206420&shortdate=0502

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: Wordwind Re: gee-whizery - 05/02/02 04:27 PM
Haven't see this coined phrase, but it's a terrific one and does capture the sense of wonder and wow! Love it, in fact!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: gee-whizery - 05/02/02 04:27 PM
see: gadzookery, gasbaggery, humbuggery, et al.

()
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 01:48 AM
see: gadzookery, gasbaggery, humbuggery, et al.

Yeahbut®, tsuwm, with all due respects, it seems to me that the words you cite are totally dismissive, whereas gee-whizery has a celebratory note of affirmation ringing through it like you never expected the gazookery, gasbaggery, or humbuggery to work, but it did. Which, to me, makes it a bit different than this other pack.

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: maverick Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 01:51 AM
an article about remote-controlled rats...

only on AWAD... [/marvel] :)

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Rats! - 05/03/02 02:01 AM
REMOTE CONTROLLED RATS !?!?

UGH!!!

Today rats; tomorrow dogs; next week, certain humans such as prisoners, mental patients, etc; the week after, anyone they can get. Where's PETA when you want them?

Posted By: Jackie Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 02:02 AM
How come it isn't whizzery, or whiz-ery?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Rats! - 05/03/02 02:44 AM
Akshually®, Bob, it says they implanted electrodes into their brains while they wer sleeping (knocked out) and that they can control them from a distance of six football fields away. Better go back and watch The Manchurian Candidate.

This is WhitmanO'Neill, Refiner of Past History, Ministry of Truth, signing off...

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 04:41 AM
Whitman goshes gee-whizery has a celebratory note of affirmation ringing through it..

in the context of this article, I have to disagree:
Other researchers said the work is interesting but is an engineering feat, not an advance in animal neuroscience.

Randy Gallistel, a professor of psychology and cognitive science at Rutgers University, said it's basically the same thing, with a twist, that scientists found they could do almost 50 years ago by stimulating the reward-sensing area of a rat's brain.

"Without the gee-whizery, without the remote-control and so on, that this kind of thing was possible has been obvious for decades," he said.

seems rather a put-down.

()
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 04:59 AM
Whitman goshes

Gosh, I didn't know my gosh was showing! Am I still goshing?

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: Faldage Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 12:32 PM
Whitman goshes gee-whizery has a celebratory note of affirmation ringing through it..

tsuwm has to disagree equating it with gadzookery, gasbaggery, humbuggery, et al. which, however, lack the ironic overtones of gee-whizery (but y'all USns never *did understand irony, did y'all?).

Posted By: wow Re: gee-whizery Robot rats - 05/03/02 02:24 PM
Thanks for the warning!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 05:02 PM
Congress is already considering legislation to mandate this technology to make rats more tractable. It's the newest version of civil rats legislation.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 07:28 PM
Gosh and josh as y'all will, I sit back and hold forth with Jackie that it needs two Zs.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 07:35 PM
Gosh and josh as y'all will, I sit back and hold forth with Jackie that it needs two Zs.

Been meanin' to catch a couple of Zs myself!

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: boronia Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 07:54 PM
... and for more on the story that started this thread:

http://www.satirewire.com/news/may02/roborats.shtml

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: gee-whizery - 05/03/02 08:06 PM
the satirewire link

Thanks, bornia! That was gee-whizz funny!

from the satirewire piece..."A Defense Department spokesman added that the Pentagon would continue with its original roborat program, and did not expect any further protests."

roborat...now there's a new word for the board to consider!

The Only WO'N!
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: gee-whizery - 05/05/02 08:22 PM
It certainly explains a lot about the current incumbent of the White House. They do keep them electrodes well hidden, but.

© Wordsmith.org