Wordsmith.org
During my birthday visit to the conservatory I came across the odd-looking boojum tree, native to isolated areas of Baja California. For most of the year it is leafless and looks like a giant upturned turnip. Pictures can be found at
http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/desertecology/boojum.htm

But our interest is linguistic, not botanic. The tree's name was coined when "plant explorer Godfrey Sykes, who found it in 1922 and said 'It must be a boojum!'. In saying this, he was referring of the strange and mythical creature that the author Lewis Carroll called a boojum in his children's book, The Hunting of the Snark.

That raises the question: what other words were "stolen" from literature for a use completely different from what the literary author had in mind? I have one more such word in mind, far more commonly know, and am holding it back as a challenge. Doubtless there are far more.

Those with access to a decent library might care to look up English Today No.24 (October 1990), which has a fascinating article called E Pluribus Boojum by the physicist N. David Mermin on his struggle to get boojum accepted as the standard term for a phenomenon occurring in spherical drops of superfluid helium-3.

Bingley
Posted By: AphonicRants Re: No other stolen from literature - 05/11/02 02:27 AM
No other words stolen from literature?
Not one????
A challenge to y'all!

Posted By: Faldage Re: No other stolen from literature - 05/11/02 12:07 PM
Stolen?

Posted By: AphonicRants Re: No other stolen from literature - 05/11/02 04:17 PM
Fair enough, faldage. Clarifying the question, by repeating it as Keiva posted it:

What other words were "stolen" from literature for a use completely different from what the literary author had in mind? I have one more such word in mind, far more commonly know, and am holding it back as a challenge. Doubtless there are far more.

Posted By: Geoff Re: No other stolen from literature - 05/11/02 05:29 PM
Doubtless there are far more.

What about Yahoo? Was Jonathan Swift enough to be the first user?

© Wordsmith.org