Wordsmith.org
Posted By: consuelo filoplume - 04/02/02 12:25 AM
SYLLABICATION: fil·o·plume
NOUN: A hairlike feather having few or no barbs, usually located between contour feathers.
ETYMOLOGY: Latin flum, thread; see gwh- in Appendix I + plume.

As per Dr. Bill, I found this word in a book I am reading and thought I'd pop it in here and see if it flies.
The phrase, for context, is as follows:

"Lowering her filoplume lashes until they almost swept the blush from her cheeks..."
-Tom Robbins Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates

Posted By: wwh Re: filoplume - 04/02/02 12:56 AM
Dear consuelo: remember of troy suggested this way of making posts. I wish many others would do likewise, as they easily could since they can read so much more than I can.
In this instance I find it hard to applaud the author's choice. I doubt that filoplumes are sturdy enough to give the vital protection to the cornea that eyelashes do. Undoubtedly it was intended as a poetic evaluation of her eyes, which also fails to please me. The beauty men see in women's eyes has very little to do with eye make-up. I have no talent for describing it.

Posted By: consuelo Re: filoplume - 04/02/02 01:23 AM
It wasn't the make-up he was commenting on, Dr. Bill, but the featheriness of the lashes as they touched her cheek. I should have started with a different example from this book. Darn!
http://books.guardian.co.uk/firstchapters
Scroll down a little more than halfway. When you encounter a picture of the front cover of The Paymaster, look to the bottom left and click on the link to this book. Or, for that matter, any that catch your fancy

Posted By: wwh Re: filoplume - 04/02/02 01:44 AM
Dear connie: I am sure your lashes are prettier than hers. I can't imagine "feathery" lashes. I have had many anxious moments trying to remove "ingrown" lashes. Feathery ones would be hazardous.
The first girl I ever dated, I met by hitting her in the eye with a wild drive playing tennis. When I looked at her eye to see if there were any injury, I saw something else. Alas, after a couple years she told me she had decided she did not want to be a doctor's wife. I never saw her again.

Posted By: consuelo Re: filoplume - 04/02/02 02:06 AM
Been there, done that.
Guess she was smarter than me
But maybe with you, it would have been a different story. I'll bet it was.[smooch-e] Her loss.

Posted By: Angel Re: filoplume - 04/02/02 02:42 AM
When I looked at her eye to see if there were any injury, I saw something else.

Oh, what a romantic way of putting it! You are truly a joy, Dr. Bill. [batting my eyelashes at you-e]

Posted By: Jackie Re: filoplume - 04/02/02 02:22 PM
.[smooch-e] ...Dr. Bill. [batting my eyelashes at you-e]
Hey, now--paws off, girls! At least give me a chance first!

Consuelo--I like your "see if your feathery post flies." Good one!

© Wordsmith.org