ÄêÁä:
»éÒö×´¿ö:
ÐÔ±ð: ÄÐÐÔ
Ö°Òµ:

Á´½Ó À´Yahoo!µØÇò´å´´½¨×Ô¼ºµÄÖ÷Ò³£¡
· ¸öÈËÖ÷Ò³: ûÓиöÈËÖ÷Ò³
· ÍƼöÍøÕ¾Á´½Ó: ûÓÐÍƼöÍøÕ¾Á´½Ó

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: identify the language - 03/10/02 12:39 PM
Can we be assured that the display is accurate, and that I'm looking at what you're sending? On my screen it looks suspiciously like what I get when I have a file-type mismatch and formatting characters et al. get "translated" and presented as text - i.e. gibberish..

Not to deflect from your question, but we need to be sure we're all looking at the same symbols.

Posted By: Faldage Re: identify the language - 03/10/02 01:35 PM
Just to clarify wofa's comment the first line I see is:
Capital O with a tilde; lower case ae ligature; capital E with a circumflex; lower case Greek mu; capital Edh; capital O with tilde; capital A with tilde; lower case u with circumflex; colon.

I have seen that sort of transmorgrification [sic] of Cyrillic character sets.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: identify the language - 03/10/02 04:21 PM
I see the same on me Mac, Faldage, but I agree with wofa that it's just the gibberish produced when you open one word processor file type in a different word processor that doesn't support the first. Plus, it says Yahoo! If it were a real language they would probably at least translate Yahoo into it's own characters.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: identify the language - 03/10/02 04:53 PM
I'd like to see a language that uses maths symbols like this one though, perhaps like so..

We are goin' to have some fun³!

He's a real ½-wit.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: identify the language - 03/13/02 02:03 PM
It looked a bit Cyrillic to me too, but I have since learned that it is a transmogrification of some Chinese script. The "Yahoo" is in there because I copied it off of the Yahoo profile page of a bridge partner who doesn't speak English. Thanks anywho.

Posted By: Faldage Re: identify the language - 03/13/02 02:31 PM
some Chinese script

When you start getting out of our simple little hundred odd character alphanumeribet you start needing more bits to cover all your characters. When you get into the tens of thousands of characters needed to be literate in Chinese...

Posted By: Flatlander Re: identify the language - 03/13/02 03:41 PM
So this brings up a question I've been wondering about for some time: how do keyboards work in pictographic languages (Chinese & Japanese in particular)? Do they have to "westernize" everything they type or is there some sort of additive system so they can build actual characters? Just a curious ugly american.

Posted By: hev Re: nothing to do with identifying the language - 03/13/02 11:48 PM
Just a curious ugly american

Oh, I'm sure you're not that bad ...

There are no ugly faces, only ugly people." author unknown

Hev
Posted By: Rubrick Re: identify the language - 03/14/02 02:30 PM
What language is this, please?

It's Unicode Sparteye. The characters are from a webpage written in a common Asian language like Chinese or Japanese. Your web browser is set to read only 256-character ASCII (the alphabet - caps and lower case - number and special characters) which means that unicode (which incorporates ASCII Roman and Arabic symbols with Asian symbols) comes out on your screen as mostly gibberish. The only legible word amongst your sample is Yahoo! which is, of course, ASCII.

In order to read these characters as they were written you will need to either install a unicode web browser OR you will need to adjust your browser preferences accordingly to recognise them. However, not all browsers hav this option.

Posted By: Rubrick Re: identify the language - 03/14/02 03:04 PM
how do keyboards work in pictographic languages (Chinese & Japanese in particular)?

I'm no expert on Chinese but I did study Japanese for a while (thanks to a bilingual girlfriend). The Japanese words are combinations of short, sharp syllables. All Japanese children learn these syllables from an early age (as Western children do with the alphabet) so as to be familiar with the rhythm of the language. Only in later years do they progress to the difficult job of learning kanji and even Kanata. These phonetic sounds have an English equivalent name called Romaji

The syllabic sounds take the form similar to our vowel sounds so you would have 'words' such as ba, be , bi, bo, bu and kah, keh, kih, koh, kuh.

A combination of key strokes would be used for each of these sounds to produce the Romaji word and then finished with an escape character. The computer translates this word and the character appears as Kanji on the computer screen. It obviously requires the indiginous user to learn the characters of a Western keyboard but it does seem to be the simplest method at the moment.

I can only presume that the Chinese system is quite similar.

Posted By: of troy Re: identify the language - 03/14/02 03:34 PM
a little more... yes there are 256-character in ASCII -- and the chances are, you have 100, 101, or 103 key keyboard.

so it seems you should be able to use the keys to type out almost the complete character set.. but lets look at your keyboard.

at the right, a number pad, with some keys commonly use to express algabraic functions.. (0-9, +, -,*,/, a dot.) 17 keys is all.. and all of them are duplicated on the typewriter type board.

Moving to the right, and bottom, 4 directional keys, (these too are ascii characters, used to position the cursor..)
above 6 other keys, which are also postitional keys, but some of these are Ascii! --home is an ascii code!

and above them 3 more, print screen, scroll lock, and pause..

On the main keyboard, some of the keys are ascii.. Enter for example (Hard Carriage return..boy that tells you something about ascii--its reference point is a manual typewriter!) and shift while not a ascii key, is used to get codes.. so while A= ascii 65, (there are 26 letters in the alphabet, lower case a is not 65 + 26, but rather 65 + 32..(97!) On most keyboards, you hav 2 alt keys, 2 del keys, 2 control keys, 2 shift keys, and finally 12 function keys. Most of the function keys do not have a standard ascii code designation..

They result is, you there are about 65 keys that print visible available for ascii text codes. (and about 15 keys with ascii code, (space!, home, enter (carriage return), the cursor movement keys.. etc.)

The first 32 ascii codes are really hard to reprogram, the remaining 224 are reasonable easy to program. (create your own font! add ligatures!)about half of the Ascii first 32 ascii codes have keys on the keyboard. many of the first 32 ascii characters are not "visible".

in Japanese, (i don't know about chinese) there is a roman character code that uses the western characterset to spell out Japanese words (ie, Tokyo) some words, like the name Michiko,(one word in "western" characters, can in kanji, have different meaning. (2 different sets of Japanese kanji)(homophones, as it were) soft ware is suppose to notice these, (and so are proofreaders!) and offer two sets of Kanji.

reality is, it's difficult and slow, which is why computers and even typewriters are not nearly as popular in Japan as Fax's and copiers are! many documents are still hand writen, and copied, not typed or word processors.

for more on ascii, just google..

here is a table showing ascii with decimal values
http://www.jimprice.com/ascii-0-127.gif

© Wordsmith.org