Wordsmith.org
Posted By: johnjohn "make love" - 07/05/00 06:08 AM
When did the phrase "make love" change to its current meaning from its 1920s-ish meaning of "kiss and hug"?

Posted By: paulb Re: "make love" - 07/05/00 12:05 PM
Hi johnjohn -- and welcome!

You ain't by any chance a Stan Freberg fan are you? -- I'm reminded particularly of his John! John! Marsha! Marsha! sketch (and, for our younger listeners, this is definitely on thread!).

Posted By: tsuwm Re: "make love" - 07/05/00 04:17 PM
John and Marsha can, of course, be found online, in Real Audio...

Posted By: Jackie Re: "make love" - 07/05/00 05:43 PM
johnjohn--I see you've posted three times, but as this is the first notice I've noticed,...welcome!

I was born in '53, so I don't really know about the decades
between the 20's and the 60's. But--during the Hippie movement in the U.S. in the late 60's, the phrase "make love not war" became a rallying cry, amidst the bra burning, protests, and "free love" activities.

Posted By: johnjohn Re: "make love" - 07/05/00 10:19 PM
Thank you for all those welcomes. JohnJohn is just my screen name because otherwise I'd have to call myself "John9324656735" or something equally elegant.
I think we've got it narrowed down to somewhere between the late '20s (Fitzgerald, Hemingway, et al) and the '60s hippy era. I suspect that it probably fell into (relative) disuse and was then revived in its new incarnation, a bit like "gay".
Continuing on the love theme, does anyone know a phrase "amor fati"? I have no idea where I've come across it, but I have a distinct feeling of "presque vu" (as Yossarian would have it) when I see it written.

Posted By: Jackie Re: "make love" - 07/06/00 01:14 PM
Amor fati:
what an experience I had finding this, said the internet
neophyte. Clicking on Gurunet gave me a website for amor
fati. This turned out to be a sales site for music. By
clicking on various things around this site, some of which
were VERY strange, I found a quote from Nietzsche that used this term. Beneath the quote, at long last, I found:

"amor fati": a love of fate. Whew!

© Wordsmith.org