Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Anshul Gupta Lost the meaning? - 02/26/02 08:52 PM
Came across the word 'LESE' which so many dictionaries describe as 'to lose'
Is this a new word , or did I just not come across it before?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Lost the meaning? - 02/26/02 08:55 PM
um... you've never come across lese majesty?

Posted By: Anshul Gupta Re: Lost the meaning? - 02/26/02 09:04 PM
sorry to say - but no....
anyway can you help further and demonstrate a use...?

Posted By: wwh Re: Lost the meaning? - 02/26/02 09:05 PM
Or a bit more authentically "lèse majesté". A crime against the sovreign, offense against a ruler's dignity, treason.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/26/02 09:18 PM
Posted By: hev Re: Lost the meaning? - 02/26/02 09:36 PM
'LESE' which so many dictionaries describe as 'to lose'
Is this a new word , or did I just not come across it before?

WELCOME Anshul!

It's not a new word ...

\Lese\ (l[=e]z), v. t. To lose. [Obs.] --Chaucer.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

The Macquarie (Australian) dictionary only has the following:

lese-majesty
// noun Law 1. any of various crimes or offences against the sovereign power in a state. 2. (humorous) any presumptuous conduct. [French, from Latin: injured sovereignty]

It's obviously not a commonly used word though - my Microsoft spellchecker doesn't like it.

Hev
Posted By: Keiva Re: Lost the meaning? - 02/27/02 01:20 AM
Stupid wild-ass guess here: could lese be related to the suffix -less?

Posted By: Rouspeteur Re: Lost the meaning? - 02/27/02 01:53 AM
For lese the OED has links to leash, lease, leach (obs. thin strips of meat) and the verb leese.

From the definition of the obsolete verb leese:

[A Com. Teut. strong vb.: OE. -léosan, only in compounds, beléosan, forléosan (-léas, -luron, -loren) corresponds to OFris. ur-liasa, OS. far-liosan (Du. ver-liezen), OHG. vir-liosan (MHG. verliesen, mod.G. verlieren, influenced by the pa. tense and pa. pple.), Goth. fra-liusan; other derivatives of the root (*leus-: laus-: los-) are leasing n., -less, loose a. and v., lose v., loss.
The root *leus- is usually regarded as an extension of the *leu-, *lu- in Gr. kÊ-eim, L. so-lv-Sre to loosen.]

1. trans. = lose, in its various senses; to part with or be parted from by misadventure, through change in conditions, etc.; to be deprived of; to cease to possess; to fail to preserve, or maintain; to fail to gain or secure; to fail to profit by, to spend (time) unprofitably; to use (labour) to no advantage. Also refl. a. In present stem.

Posted By: Keiva Re: Lost the meaning? - 02/27/02 02:06 AM
Looks like lese (in the original post of this thread) may not tie into lese majeste.

The former, as Rouspeteur notes, traces back to teutonic tongues (as does the suffix -less), referring to "lost". But lese majeste comes from latin laesa or laesae, "injured", via middle french.

tsuwm, am I missing something here?