Wordsmith.org
Posted By: katie mulchwoman word for "significant other" - 06/29/00 01:49 PM
I know there are other words for someone who is a significant other, boy/girlfriend, partner etc. Years ago I recall that a monthly AWAD newsletter made mention of such a word. I have been unsucessful in locating it and am hoping that someone will recall what it is. Thanks.

Posted By: jmh Re: word for "significant other" - 06/29/00 03:07 PM
I had a look for you. The people I know tend to use "partner" but that always sounds a bit businesslike.

Lots of the words in AWAD could find a new meaning and be used:

How about my Superfluous?
My Shangri-la
For the "Ladies" - My Panspermia
For the "Gentlemen" - My Bluestocking

I'm sure we can find some others if we look hard enough

Posted By: tsuwm Re: word for "significant other" - 06/29/00 03:23 PM
one that gets bandied about by word junkies ::twitch:: is posslq, pronounced pos/sel/cue -- it's actually an acronym coined by either the tax or census folks, Person of the Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters.

Posted By: katie mulchwoman Re: word for "significant other" - 06/29/00 03:32 PM
Not quite what I had in mind although I'm sure these terms will find there way into conversations.
I seem to recall the word I am searching for as not being a term generally used in English. I mean to say that it was from a different culture. At the time I thought, "How perfect!" I wish that I had written it down then.

Posted By: katie mulchwoman Re: word for "significant other" - 06/29/00 03:37 PM
I suppose this could be it. Although I am so dissapointed that it is not of a more exotic origin.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: word for "significant other" - 06/29/00 03:46 PM
re: your disappointment

| There's nothing that I wouldn't do,
| If you would be my Posslq,
| You'd live for me and I for you
| If you would be my Posslq.
| We'd live forever, you and me,
| In blessed posslq-ity!

does this help?

(credit to Charles Osgood)

Posted By: katie mulchwoman Re: word for "significant other" - 06/29/00 04:00 PM
With such sweet words, indeed it does.
Thank you.

Posted By: Bingley Re: word for "significant other" - 06/30/00 04:42 AM
In reply to:

Person of the Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters

What about if you're gay or not actually living together?

How about "loved one"? Or just use his/her name. Eventually people will work out what the relationship is.

Bingley

Posted By: Jackie Re: word for "significant other" - 06/30/00 11:15 AM
Katie--
Darn, I missed your first post! Belated welcome.
Been looking thru Archives--what about consort?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: word for "significant other" - 06/30/00 02:19 PM
>What about [1]if you're gay or [2]not actually living together?

1) pssslq (pz zel cue) Persons of the Same Sex Sharing Living Quarters

2) that's not quite so significant, at least to the census folks.

Posted By: Bridget Re: word for "significant other" - 06/30/00 11:20 PM
>>How about "loved one"? <<

That's near enough the literal translation of the mainland Chinese term for 'spouse' - loved person.
Unfortunately in Taiwan (at least ten years ago it was the case) the same word means 'lover' in the carnal sense.

The English word 'lover' seems equally slippery in meaning.

Personally, I use partner in day-to-day speech. A large number of people assume this means I am lesbian. (Just as a large number of people assume that because I use Ms I must be divorced!)

WHen I think I can get away with it (when Steve's not there!) I have been known to refer to him as my 'not so good quarter'.

Posted By: Leone Re: word for "significant other" - 07/03/00 08:32 AM
What about "TOCT" (The one committed to) - or something along those lines. Doesn't sound so romantic does it!!

Posted By: wsieber Re: word for "significant other" - 07/03/00 10:37 AM
The issue is a real one, also in the German language/culture, as I experienced over the last 22 years. I ended up using the first name of the "lady" concerned. Hardly anybody asks for further explanations...

Posted By: katie mulchwoman Re: word for "significant other" - 07/03/00 02:37 PM
Thank you for the welcome Jackie.
It seems that I am looking for a word with a certain "flavor", if you will. Husband/wife signifies a strong commitment, hopefully love and a legal tie. (Atleast these words signify that to me, others may disagree based on their own life experiences.) I seek a word that signifies committed bond and love without sounding business like as in "partner", formal as "consort", or transitory as in boy/girlfriend. "My beloved" is too personal in everyday conversation although perhaps in this day it wouldn't hurt to bring a bit of personal softness into the circles of our everyday lives. With no really appropriate word pinpointed, I have used his name. Yes, it does seem that folks work out the details themselves. Perhaps that is because there is a certain inflection in my voice, a look on my face or a feeling that I project when I say it. Perhaps I am searching for something that doesn't exist. Although I hope not. (By the way, his term for me which I find very endearing is "my sweetie.)

© Wordsmith.org