Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill horny for ice cream - 02/13/02 09:48 PM
Note this is Q &A indicating that I'm presenting this as a serious proposition, seriously.

There's been some questions raised on "Deathy Hubris" about the contents of a certain URL
http://www.hornyforgod.com/whittman.html, respectively, and horny for god, specifically. I thought this is apt to blossom into an interesting enough discussion to warrant a new thread (but ya never know around here! ). When I first saw this phrase I wondered myself, until I delved into it a bit more.

What we're seeing here in the phrase, "horny for god," is the Webmaster's choice for inflecting a word with a new sematical nuance. Faldage oughtta love this! We're use to hearing the word horny in the context of "a craving for sex" or the physical and emotional condition that brings the sexual gestalt to the forefront and distracts our minds, momentarily, from eveything else.
This gentleman's site has to do with the theory of enlightened beings. If you click the link and peruse some of the Whitman bio you'll see that he considers W.W. an avatar, an enlightened being, and believes in the concept of One God that has shown itself on the physical realm in eruptions of consciousness throughout history in various incarnations of enlightened entities such as Christ, Buddha, etc. So, getting back to the wordism here, horny in this context means a "super-enthusiasm," a "craving for God." So, in the context of this milder, more generic form of "horny" you could say, if you had a craving for ice cream that you were horny for ice cream. The evolution of language never ceases!

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: /whittman.html - 02/13/02 10:25 PM
I'm a little more concerned that he's sloppy enough to let the URL extension go with such a gross error in spelling! Sheesh, if you're going to be horny for a guy, at least learn how to spell his name right!

Posted By: Keiva Re: horny; true story - 02/13/02 10:44 PM
A client of mine was, in high school, the starting point guard on the school's basketball team. The shooting guard on that team went on to play in college (unspectacularly) and later managed to catch on with an NBA pro team, where he blossomed. He recently retired after a long career; Sparteye will recognize his name instantly.

You can imagine the high school nicknames and double entendres when I tell you that the two boys (now men) were named Gary Alcock and Jeff Hornacek.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: horny for ice cream - 02/14/02 12:03 AM
Do you think he was using the word "horny" to attract people to the site? Kinda like that 8,000$ they use to bring people into a shop and then say they've sold the last one and here is a nice 25,000$ one I could let you have.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: horny for ice cream - 02/14/02 01:18 AM
Do you think he was using the word "horny" to attract people to the site?

Good point, bel! It certainly does grab your attention, as witnessed by these reactions.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: /whittman.html - 02/14/02 01:22 AM
whittman

Good question, Fiberbabe...wonder why he did that?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: /whittman.html - 02/18/02 09:41 PM
whittman

Good question, Fiberbabe...wonder why he did that?

Why don't you just email him again and sort it out?

Posted By: Geoff Re: horny for ice cream - 02/19/02 01:03 AM
So, getting back to the
wordism here, horny in this context means a "super-enthusiasm," a "craving for God."

Isn't there a built-in tautology here? "Enthusiasm" means, literally, "god within."

And, throughout history, there have been many gods who have been horny in its more normal implication.

Now, a somewhat related query: Do we anthropomorphise diety, or do we deify ourselves? What other words reflect these themes?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: horny for ice cream - 02/19/02 07:27 PM
And, throughout history, there have been many gods who have been horny in its more normal implication.

Yes. Sadly lacking today, however. They're all bleedin' celibate!

Gods, as far as I can tell, are reflections of ourselves as we would like to be. Rather than "God created man in his own image" (have I got that right?), it's "Man creates gods in his own image".

The Old Testament god is a completely different kettle of fish from the New Testament god. The Jewish (Old Testament) god is a knock 'em down, drag 'em out moralist deity with no room for flexibility or even the vaguest hint of a sense of humour (look what happened when Moses' camp-followers or fellow-travellers built themselves a graven image). The Christian god is the forgiving type - half a dozen "Hail Marys", if you're Catholic, and all's right with the world again. If you're not Catholic, it's even less bother.

And to quote from the gospel according to Brian: " 'e's not the messiah, 'e's a very naughty boy!"

Posted By: Keiva Re: gods! - 02/19/02 08:00 PM
eh, Kiwi, you're getting into a sensitive area.

There is some truth to what you say. There is also, as I recall, a good deal of variation among the early-christian writings: many would fit your characterization, but many others (e.g., Paul and Tertullian) would emphatically not. And as a matter of official Catholic doctrine, query if its correct to say, "If you're not Catholic, it's even less bother." My understanding is that per original official doctine, all unbaptised persons go to hell, or at best to limbo.

But I will certainly admit that I am no deep scholar on this!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: horny for ice cream - 02/19/02 10:54 PM
And to quote from the gospel according to Brian: " 'e's not the messiah, 'e's a very naughty boy!"

I love that movie. "Always look on the bright side of life" is one of my favorite ditties.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/19/02 10:55 PM
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: horny for ice cream - 02/19/02 11:41 PM
Thanks for your stimulating post, Geoff! I'm especially intrigued with this:

"Enthusiasm" means, literally, "god within." tsuwm, or NicholasW, do you have a background or OED on this? Other definitions for enthusiasm I have encountered include belief in special revelations of the Holy Spirit and religious fanaticism.

Posted By: Bingley Re: horny for ice cream - 02/20/02 06:49 AM
From the AHD:

Enthusiasm first appeared in English in 1603 with the meaning “possession by a god.” The source of the word is the Greek enthousiasmos, which ultimately comes from the adjective entheos, “having the god within,” formed from en, “in, within,” and theos, “god.”

http://www.bartleby.com/61/14/E0161400.html

Bingley
Posted By: Geoff Re: horny for ice cream - 02/20/02 01:49 PM

Thanks for your stimulating post, Geoff! I'm especially intrigued with this:

"Enthusiasm" means, literally, "god within."

And which god enthuses you, Wo'N? What about the rest of you? As for me, I'm claiming Loki, although Raven and Coyote are there too

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: horny for ice cream - 02/20/02 02:29 PM
I recognithe only the god within me - and motht of the time, I'm Thor

Posted By: maverick Re: horny for ice cream - 02/20/02 02:43 PM
motht of the time, I'm Thor

can you read ŝiŝ, Rhuby? ~ it's a ŝight for ŝor eyeŝ.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: horny for ice cream - 02/20/02 03:12 PM
More of a thorne in the side, I'd say [notwink]

Posted By: maverick Re: horny for ice cream - 02/20/02 03:37 PM
a thorne in the side

only to ŝose who are a pain in the aŝ! [unwunk]

© Wordsmith.org