Wordsmith.org
Posted By: whitewave Antonym for Misogyny? - 01/03/02 08:40 PM
Does anyone know what it is? Misanthropy seems to apply to "mankind", but not just men. Misandry (sp?) may apply, but I think I made it up.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Antonym for Misogyny? - 01/03/02 08:48 PM
Philogyny.

Seriously, misandry sounds good to me. And parbly you ain' the onliest person to have made it up.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Antonym for Misogyny? - 01/03/02 08:54 PM
you didn't make it up; the Greeks had a word for it.

misandry - after MISOGYNY n.

Hatred of men as a sex.

1909 in Cent. Dict. Suppl. 1946 Scrutiny XIII. 249 In the absence of feminine
precedents, she [sc. Beatrice] could do no better than what she very sensibly does do: follow
masculine example, and answer to their affected misogyny with the affectation of misandry.
1960 B. KAYE Upper Nankin St. xii. 232 Such women are common in..Kwangtung
Province, where there is a tradition of misandry. 1991 New Art Examiner Apr. 35/3
Although Surrealism could survive the excision of its misogyny, if SisterSerpents shed their
‘misandry’, their ideological fangs would prove artless

Hence misandrist n., one who hates men, a man-hater (esp. in feminist usage).

1978 Observer 23 Apr. 8/3 The respectable feminist equivalent for the word misogynist is
misandrist. 1993 Guardian 3 Dec. II. 4/5 Strictly speaking, neither misogynist nor misandrist
specifies the gender of the person who hates: you should be able to be both female and to
hate women.

OED2, updated

Posted By: reed Re: Antonym for Misogyny? - 01/03/02 09:28 PM
I vote for philogyny, as in what's recapitulated by ontogyny?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Antonym for Misogyny? - 01/03/02 09:35 PM
ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny... or was that juvenescence mocks hermeneutics?

-joe (antogeny recapitulates philogeny?) friday

Posted By: wwh Re: Antonym for Misogyny? - 01/03/02 09:40 PM
Nobody is allowed ontogyny here.

Posted By: Angel Re: Antonym for Misogyny? - 01/03/02 10:34 PM
I vote for philogyny, as in what's recapitulated by ontogyny?

Are we confused? I am!

...Darwin's theory, mapped a genealogical tree relating all animal life, and developed the maxim Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny....

http://www.bartleby.com/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/sitesearch?FILTER=col61&query=ontogeny&x=10&y=10

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Antonym for Misogyny? - 01/03/02 10:58 PM
Warning! This is a very stupid post, even for me.

This am purty cool about derivations of gyny, the trail reaching backwards to 'gwen':

ENTRY: gwen-
DEFINITION: Woman. 1. Suffixed form *gwen--. a. quean, from Old English cwene, woman, prostitute, wife, from Germanic *kwenn-; b. banshee, from Old Irish ben, woman; c. zenana, from Persian zan, woman. 2. Suffixed lengthened-grade form *gwn-i-. queen, from Old English cwn, woman, wife, queen, from Germanic *kwniz. 3. Suffixed zero-grade form *gw--. –gyne, gyno-, –gynous, –gyny; gynecocracy, gynecology, gynoecium, from Greek gun, woman. (Pokorny gn 473.)

The transmutations and fabrications are endless! Just think...Guineviere, Queen Guineviere could be thought of as 'Queen Queenviere"--or even "Gun Gunviere," a shot in the dark and then another one, too.

And, if misogyny, is hatred of gyny, and gyny can be shown to be derived from "gun," why, then, a misogynist could be a person who hates guns. Terrific! And hates cwns, too! And queens! And wives! And banshees! So much hatred! So little time!

Best regards,
WordKwenn

Posted By: consuelo So that's where wench comes from! - 01/03/02 11:10 PM
Whitewave, welcome to the board. I hope you'll excuse us for not welcoming you sooner. Good question!Pssst!Some members sign on with different names. Are you going to investigate those frauds?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Antonym for Misogyny? - 01/04/02 02:16 AM
Welcome aBoard, whitewave. My husband wanted to name our daughter Guinevere, and I vetoed it in the belief that she'd get teased too much. I do love it, though.
========================================================

REED [exasperated look e]: now, dag nab it , I just finished reading your "Who wrote this poem" thread, and you didn't post there, but you did here. It's nice to see you back, but...didja ever find out the author?? I'd almost bet money it was written by a female, for what that's worth.

Posted By: of troy Miss Gwen - 01/04/02 01:25 PM
Oh Jackie, i wanted to name my daughter Gwendalynn-- and my ex veto'd it. since i had gone along with his choice of a name for a son.. i was annoyed, and press him Why? Unfortunately, he came up with such a good reason, i had to agree.. last name Griffin.. Gwendalynn Griffin could easily become GG (Gee Gee!) yucK! i tend to dislike nickname-- or at least nicknames that other impose.. Now that he is an adult, my son has some of friends call him Ben... but when he was a kid, some adults tried to stick him with Benjie .. and i found Gee Gee to be just as bad! so i have an Emily..

Posted By: Jackie Re: Miss Gwen - 01/04/02 04:32 PM
Yes, one should try to think as far ahead as possible. When my neice found out she was going to have a boy, I knew his last name would be Banks, so I told her not to name him Robert or Robin.

Posted By: tsuwm what's in a name? - 01/04/02 04:48 PM
my daughter CarolIne is named for her great-grandmother, and her middle name is Noel -- born Dec. 22. my friend the skeptic (imagine what he must be like!) upon hearing this rolled his eyes and said "carolin' noel?"

Posted By: Faldage Re: Gee - 01/04/02 05:14 PM
No matter what you do someone will be able to pervert it into something, given enough reason. No point making it easy, but I can't see what could possibly be wrong with Gee Gee. Maybe it's a NYC thang. If there's something really obvious that I'm missing PM me.

Posted By: Keiva Re: what's in a name? - 01/04/02 05:25 PM
I knew this sounded familiar, tswum!
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?
Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=34422&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1

(see 1st and 3rd posts of that thread)

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Gee - 01/04/02 05:27 PM
the only thing "wrong" I can see is that you start out with something you think to be mellifluous, Gwendalyn, and end up with Gigi.

Posted By: of troy Re: Gee - 01/04/02 07:23 PM
i just thinks names are important.. and i hate when kids get nicknames impossed on them.. something suitable for a 2 year old (benjie!) get hung on kid-- and when he's in college, 6 foot tall, he is still benjie..

its not a nyc thing.. its purely me! i put thought into my kids names.. i spent most of my son's childhood fighting Ben, Benny, Benjie, et al.. and keeping him Benjamin.. i still call him Benjamin.. but he has used Ben. (his name, his choice!)
my (extended) family is rife with people who have a given name (never used!) and two or more nicknames! i had trouble keeping track of who was who! Elizabeth, was always called Annabelle, except when she was called Pidge! (short for pidgeon.. no, not a misspelling, her last name.. )

Posted By: Faldage Re: Gee - 01/04/02 07:33 PM
start out with something you think to be mellifluous, Gwendalyn, and end up with Gigi.

Well, they're pretty different but it sounds like a crap shoot figuring out which (if either) is more mellifluous than the other. Listen one way and Gwendalyn has some harsh edges and abrupt turns; Gigi bubbles along in a nice friendly way.

And Helen, *any name can be made into a nickname. I was known as Craig the Leg for a period of time in my youth. Anyone with the last name of Griffin is open to all sorts of nickname abuse whatever her first name is. Look at your Benjie.

Posted By: Angel Re: Gee - 01/04/02 07:35 PM
My given name was Kimber, yet I was always called Kim, except for that first, misserable day at school, when the teacher would call roll, and I would hear the snickering in the background and the quiet litte "timber" coming from behind me. As an adult, I have always been asked if it was short for Kimberly. When I married, I legally changed it to Kim. You know what? They still ask if it's short for Kimberly. Go figure!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Gee - 01/04/02 07:44 PM
Dear Faldage,

Why were you called CRAIG THE LEG?

Was it because you had long legs or great legs or perhaps you liked legs? Or perhaps you worked at a barn and gave young riders a leg up? (or is that a hand up? I've forgotten--brain is whirling again)

Very curious here,
DubDub

PS: Speaking of horses, which is right and left of gee and haw?
Posted By: of troy Re: Gee - 01/04/02 07:49 PM
and the common (or even uncommon!) nick name for Helen is?

Oh Hell! doesn't count!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Gee - 01/04/02 08:00 PM
Common nickname for Helen?

Hmmmm...Elle?
Does Ellen come from Helen?
Ellie?
Len?
(Shot in the dark)Belle?
Another (shot in the dark) Beauty?

Posted By: of troy Re: Gee - 01/04/02 08:14 PM
Thank you!
yes, Ellen is from helen... closer to the greek spelling, elana (where the first E in word tends to get a (h)--givng us Helen(a)

but Ellen is a name in its right, and no shorter, and ellie.. is a nick name for ellen.

elle is from the french for girl.. but its sound like EL-- and since we too tend to put an (h) in front of El-- it become Hel..which sounds like hell!

Len is guys name (or nickname.) leena is sometimes used, but rarely for helen.

belle and beauty-- thank you... but alas, i am neither.. i don't need to go about with a brown paper bag over my face.. i don't 'knock 'em dead" at fiftly paces.. but i am no beauty. (but i have great hair, and great skin, and beautiful blue eyes, so don't get the idea i am lacking in self esteem! i don't need to claim beauty.. i have other qualities, as valuable..)

Posted By: Keiva Re: Helen - 01/04/02 08:19 PM
the common (or even uncommon!) nick name for Helen is?
One of my classmates in high scool, named Helen and possessing an [ahem] attractive pair of legs, was known as "Helen Wheels". I am not making this up. We also had a "Beverly Hills".

Posted By: Faldage Re: Gee, Hellen - 01/04/02 08:29 PM
And why doesn't Hell count Ms O'Hanbaskit?

...you start out with something you think to be mellifluous, Gwendalyn, and end up with Gigi.

Have we crossed threads here? See seventeenth post on the thread
http:////wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=50453&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

which meandered in this direction just a few hours ago...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Gee - 01/04/02 10:05 PM
Why were you called CRAIG THE LEG?

I ain't tellin.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Gee - 01/04/02 10:36 PM
I ain't tellin.

It's ironic; you did.

© Wordsmith.org