Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm finishing school - 01/03/02 02:46 PM
!) is there a word for someone who (or the act of) finishes your sentences for you?

+) do you find this infuriating or endearing?

Posted By: Faldage Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 02:50 PM
!) Parbly; ask tsuwm.

+) Yes.

Posted By: wwh Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 02:54 PM
Dear tsuwm: The same punitive aunt who asked me if the cat had gotten my tongue, used to interrupt me to complete my sentences for me the way she thought they should end, usually quite wrongly. It infuriated me then. I don't know of a word for it, but it could be fun to see what coinages the group can suggest.

A special case of plutarch"s omegatist?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 05:47 PM
Dear wwh: I thought of Plutarch, too, in this context--but it doesn't quite fit here. What is the second word of a hyphenated couple called? You know: okey-dokey. Is there a word for that second part? Maybe it could be fused into Plutarch's omegatist.

Dear tsuwm: It's endearing if I can't pull out the part of the sentence I mean to say; it's bothersome as the devil if it's a person who simply enjoys staying one step ahead of me, which ain't too hard to do as I make the transition between brain-dreamland to understandable human conversation.

syntaxfinisher?
syntafinisher
syntaomegatist
syntaxomegatist
pain in the butt? (butt taken here to mean the end of the thing when you're aggravated by the interruption, of course)

Butt regards,
DubDub, the very patient listener, but willing to offer a helping final flourish, if you need it

Posted By: wwh Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 05:57 PM
An ancient term for a pest who interrupts used to be "buttinsky" but tsuwm obviously was looking for something less crude.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 06:03 PM
>term for a pest who interrupts

and this is different to a mere interruption.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 06:27 PM
tsuwm writes:

OK. What's the joke? Why did tsuwm use "to" instead of "from"? I don't get it, and I know the preposition to was used for that very subtle kind of AWAD humor that I too regularly miss. But not this time, dagnabit! Come on...spill!

Beat regards,
Dub

Posted By: tsuwm Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 06:39 PM
dear dubiety,

I would think that this would fall into the category of short term memory...
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=49628

-joe (just trying to affect those US stats) friday

Posted By: wwh Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 06:58 PM
intrusive soi-disant clairvoyant

Posted By: wwh Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 07:01 PM
self-appointed mouthpiece

Posted By: Keiva Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 07:20 PM
attorney
or more precisely, attorny-at-maw

Posted By: tsuwm Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 07:30 PM
caradea questions [leached]via PM[/unbleached]: do you know the answer? i'd swear i've seen something like this in SKB or the likes, but i can't find a thing and now it's going to bug me. thanks a lot.

as you can see from this link, pete saussy and I have been searching unsuccessfully for this "word fugitive" for some time (I not nearly as long as he has), and he reminded me of it yet again when he suggested today's wwftd [nudiustertian] to me.

http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/fugitives/finisher.htm

...I do find some merit in lexterminator.

Posted By: Faldage Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 08:04 PM
someone who finishes your sentences for you

attorney

You mean, after I'm found guilty of murder and I get 20 to life I only have to serve the first ten years and my lawyer'll finish the sentence for me?

Posted By: GallantTed Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 08:19 PM
Howye everyone

There is a proper term fer someone what always finishes yer sentences and it's called....
Posted By: GallantTed Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 08:24 PM
Typical - they're never around when ya need them.

GallantTed

Posted By: Keiva Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 08:46 PM
I'd sswear i've seen something like this in SKB or the likes, but i can't find a thing and now it's going to bug me.
Sound familiar to me too, tsuwm, with a vague notion that the word is yiddish. It sure is the sort of concept for which yiddish might have a word.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: finishing school - 01/03/02 09:25 PM
Oh, I see, tsuwm. I hadn't read this thread, so thanks for the link. As I wrote, I had a feeling that you were playing some kind of subtle AWAD language melody.

Indubitably yours,
WW

Posted By: Anonymous Re: finishing school - 01/04/02 04:48 PM
martha barnette, of http://www.funwords.com/ fame, told me that she, too, investigated this fugitive word a few months ago and came up dry. she did offer this:

"I did come across "interjaculate: to ejaculate in the midst of a conversation; to interject (an ejaculation)." But hmmmm, that's not exactly it and it sounds too naughty anyway!"

i think she'd be a terrific addition to the board

~~~~~~

what about something along the lines of 'cacoethes interrupti'? it *is missing an essential defining element (finishing the thought), though. is there a word better suited to the concept than interrupti? (and is interrupti even a word?? [dunce-e])

~~~~~~~~~

+) i find it irritating when done in an habitual way, and relieving when done in response to my genuine aposiopesis.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: BREAKING NEWS - 01/04/02 04:51 PM
this just in, from Robert Beard (with apologies to Mrs. Beard) of yourdictionary.com:

To: <caradea@home.com>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 9:46 AM

> We think we have found the word: a spouse.
>
> "Dr. Language"

Posted By: Sparteye Re: finishing school - 01/05/02 04:17 PM
*sigh*

I'm guilty of this. Not all the time, and not with everybody, but I do it on occasion...usually when someone is groping to remember a name, but sometimes I just get three steps ahead in the conversation. Sorry.

How about utterupt?

Posted By: Anonymous Re: finishing school - 01/06/02 06:30 PM
it suddenly occurs to me that this is exactly the job of our web browsers' "autocomplete" function (i turn mine off, for the record... find it irritating).

surely some clever person can think of a play on words which incorporates a conversational aspect to "autocompleter"?

"autocompleterrupter" is a bit stilted .

Posted By: musick Re: finishing school - 01/06/02 09:09 PM
>term for a pest who interrupts

There are plenty of words for the person, but, you *must be looking for an imbedded description of the act. LOL!

Hi, caradea

Posted By: consuelo Re: finishing school - 01/06/02 10:35 PM
Musick. I see you have lost that lean and addicted look. Congratulations.

© Wordsmith.org