Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Anonymous getting the willies - 09/30/01 05:04 PM
after I used that expression the other day, then stopped to wonder what it actually® means – anyone know?

is it another member of the family, or unrelated?

Posted By: consuelo Re: getting the willies - 09/30/01 05:07 PM
Does it have anything to do with a volleyball and a red magic marker?[smart-a**-emoticon} Seriously, that is a good one. Don't know.

Posted By: musick Re: getting the willies - 09/30/01 08:57 PM
"Getting the willies" will often give you "goose-bumps". It is a manifestation of fear and usually breeds more fear (or a propensity for it). The after shock of terror (Vampire inflicted) are "willies"... (from what I can remember)

Posted By: Keiva Re: getting the willies - 09/30/01 10:01 PM
This is just a SWAG (Stupid Wild-As* Guess), but could the term come from the old Little Willie rhymes?

Posted By: Faldage Re: getting the willies - 10/01/01 01:22 PM
I think the Little Willie rhymes aren't *that old. Musick seems to have pinned down what it *means; now as to where it *came from...

Posted By: Marigold Re: getting the willies - 10/01/01 02:24 PM
Ok, I guess the Little Willy rhymes must be different from Wee Willie Winky! Does anyone want to post an example of a Little Willy...rhyme that is?
Posted By: maverick Re: getting the willies - 10/01/01 04:02 PM
as to where it *came from...

call the gutter perlis!

Posted By: Faldage Re: getting the willies - 10/01/01 04:12 PM
call the gutter perlis!

Mal y pensing again are we, mav?

Hope the honi was soit.

Posted By: Keiva Re: getting the willies - 10/01/01 04:28 PM
call the gutter perlis!

Oh, goody! I hadn't known that the Little Willies are gutter (the few I've heard bits from are mild). What a pleasant surprise! mav, do tell more?

Posted By: stales Re: getting the willies - 10/03/01 06:39 AM
Come on AWAD'ers!!

Gymkhana's new around here and, as yet, hasn't had the question solved. Is the board stumped? I know I am.

Was there a famous horror actor or writer called William something? (or something William/s?)

Wasn't some famous serial killer (bluebeard?) called William something?

stales

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 10/03/01 06:49 AM
Posted By: Jackie Re: getting the willies - 10/03/01 09:46 AM
Gymkhana's new around here
I wouldn't be too sure about that...

© Wordsmith.org