Wordsmith.org
Posted By: whEEzy say your piece of peace - 05/18/00 04:41 PM
I've seen the phrases "said my peace", "say your peace" etc. but just recently I read "said my piece."

I always thought "peace" was correct--or maybe I should say more common--and it made sense to me. But, "piece" makes sense, also. As in, "a piece of my mind" or something like
that.

However, it seems like the context of the phrase is one where the speaker is searching for the resolution of a dispute or is at least trying to mitigate the contentious nature of their opinion so "peace" seems more appropriate even if it's odd.

Which do you think is more common in the phrase? "Peace" or "piece?" Is there an origin to the phrase that make the answer to that question clear?

Posted By: jmh Re: say your piece of peace - 05/18/00 05:23 PM
I think its "said my piece" (in the sense of contribution)like you'd pick a piece from a newpaper or a poem. On the other hand I might "make my peace" if I'd fallen out with someone (twsum, for example).

Posted By: tsuwm Re: say your piece of peace - 05/18/00 05:29 PM
>twsum, for example

there you go again... my people will be contacting yours.

http://members.aol.com/tsuwm
Posted By: jmh Re: say your piece of peace - 05/18/00 05:48 PM
twu
I was thinking of fisticuffs
but
I've seen your posting in Miscellany (re on-line dictionaries) - all is forgiven!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: say your piece of peace - 05/18/00 06:14 PM
getting back on topic, the "common" phrase is to say one's piece -- this is about sense #17 of the word piece: opinion, viewpoint, mind <just about every politician has said his piece on gun control> [sense #6 of piece: a projectile weapon]

Posted By: Procrastinatrix Re: say your piece of peace - 05/18/00 06:35 PM
I'm not sure how to respond. Would giving you a piece of my mind improve your peace of mind?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: say your piece of peace - 05/18/00 06:51 PM
>I'm not sure how to respond

well, I guess the appropriate response would be to expand your understanding of the word piece... you may be thinking too narrowly! : )

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: say your piece of peace - 05/18/00 07:07 PM
I have a feeling "say your peace" comes from a false analogy to the phrase "Speak now or forever hold (keep) your peace" used in some wedding ceremonies. (wondering if we need to hire a peace-keeper around here ;-) )

Posted By: tsuwm Re: say your piece of peace - 05/18/00 08:08 PM
>I'm not sure how to respond.

'trix, I just realized you were responding to the original post and not to me (drat this non-threaded mode)! I apologize for my flippant followup in the event.

Posted By: Jackie Re: say your piece of peace - 05/19/00 12:00 PM
Thank goodness! I was beginning to wonder if someone was
going to try to keep the peace WITH a piece (U.S. slang
for gun).

Posted By: EricBlair Re: say your piece of peace - 07/24/12 02:24 PM
"And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, 'Peace be to this house.' And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again." - Jesus (Luke 10:5,6 KJV)

It seems to me that "to speak one's peace" is one of our many common phrases borrowed from the Bible, like "my two-cents worth" or "a little bird told me." In the above scenario after the disciple speaks "Peace," his obligation is fulfilled; the response rests on the listeners.

Isn't this essentially what "to speak one's peace" means today?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: say your piece of peace - 07/24/12 04:20 PM
I don't think so, Eric; to wit:

piece [n]
14 g. A passage for recitation; a short speech. Now chiefly U.S. and Eng. regional exc. in to say (also speak) one's piece : to have one's say, to express one's opinion on a subject or question; to make a statement.

1822 C. M. Sedgwick New-Eng. Tale vi. 85 The young woman was to speak a piece of her own framing.
1865 C. F. Browne A. Ward: his Trav. ii. i. 128, I have spoken my piece about the Ariel.
1895 ‘Rosemary’ Under Chilterns 83 All the ‘pieces’ that the children learnt to repeat at school they taught to her.
1941 U. Orange Tom Tiddler's Ground vi. 117 Lady Cameron was simply furious with me after that concert-party episode, when I just flatly refused to say my piece.
1973 J. Porter It's Murder with Dover xi. 115 ‘You didn't speak to Marsh again?’ ‘No. I'd said my piece.’
2003 Washington Times 9 Apr. c09 He..gives each caller a chance to say his piece before moving on.
[OED]
Posted By: EricBlair Re: say your piece of peace - 07/24/12 09:32 PM
From what I can tell, you are correct, tsuwm. That's too bad because my theory would have tied together the two idioms (that is: to say and to hold one's "peace" would have been complementary statements).

I stand corrected. Thank you for saying your piece.
© Wordsmith.org