Wordsmith.org
Posted By: quillman "jitney box" - 05/04/00 05:23 PM
I'm trying to find the meaning and origin of the term "jitney box". I know what a jitney is, and I recall reading in some investment/stock market context the term "jitney box". I have a general idea of its meaning but I have no idea where or how it originated. I've heard that it may have an Asian connection, but I'm not sure of this. I have searched several dictionaries and other references and have come up dry. Anybody?

Posted By: kas19 Re: "jitney box" - 01/25/08 01:49 AM
I do not know how correct this is but:
My grandfather came to the United States in 1901 from Germany.
He introduced us to several terms. One of them was Jitney Box. It was to become to us a term that meant picnic box for the car.
We would pile into the Jitney Bus (an old car commonly called a woody that I think meant a transport vehicle in his language) it was somewhat like a station wagon with wood on the exterior (probably useless information). Anyway he had built a type of picnic box out of wood. It had compartments for forks, knives, etc. that would hold the day's food. He always refered to this picnic box as a jitney box. It was handed down to me so if you want plans on how to build one you can contact me at dsmith3@dot.state.tx.us
My son got me here to respond to you and I will probably never find this site again.
Posted By: Owlbow Re: "jitney box" - 01/25/08 01:42 PM
Welcome quill & kas. I have nothing to add except: Good question - Good answer, and I hope that we'll see you both here again soon.
© Wordsmith.org