Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Nels Critical terms - 05/01/00 09:37 AM
The critic Elaine Showalter contrived the term 'gynocriticism' for feminist literary theory and criticism.
What would masculininst literary theory and criticism be called? Opposite of 'gyno-' is what I'm looking for I guess.

Posted By: patatty Re: Critical terms - 05/01/00 03:14 PM
How about "politically incorrect?"

(more)Seriously, masculist (sorry, but that would be the strictly formed counterpart word form to feminist) commentary could be called androcriticism...

Posted By: Nels Re: Critical terms - 05/02/00 09:12 PM
Oxford dictionary

masculinist… n. an advocate of the rights of men. adj. of or relating to the advocacy of the rights of men.

Masculininst was a typo but masculinist, not masculist, is the correct word.

Posted By: GZini Re: Critical terms - 05/05/00 03:43 PM
"Andro-" (or "andr-") is a combining form suggesting maleness, and is the "opposite" of "gyno-" which you seek. Unfortunately, since sci-fi has given us "androids," that meaning may be slightly diluted. I seem to remember another one, "hiero-" or something like that, but the precise spelling escapes me.

Posted By: patatty Re: Critical terms - 05/09/00 07:21 PM
Nels -
I wasn't disputing the OED, merely pointing out that "feminist" morphs to "masculist". To derive "masculinist" from a female counterpart, that initial word would have to be "femininist". It is not the first nor the last inconsistency in this language.

Posted By: Nels Re: Critical terms - 05/15/00 06:14 PM
I have heard many advocates and critics of equality use the word 'femininist' (pronounced 'femininisht') but usually with a little sherry on their lips. Rather than being an inconsistency in language, this is an affront to temperate sensibilities.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Critical terms - 05/15/00 06:23 PM
re: femininist

perhaps this was shortened to feminist through haplology!
8-)

http://members.aol.com/tsuwm/
© Wordsmith.org