Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Lionel Koh Are the above sentences fine/natural? ... - 12/06/13 04:20 PM
It is an awesome and overwhelming feeling of appreciation to be able to witness the Grand Ceremony

commemorating the completion of the major renovation of the church.

I can truly feel the compassion of the pastor to rebuild / in rebuilding the church.

Are the above sentences fine/natural? Which words in bold should I use?

Thanks.
Could somebody please help? Thanks.
I think that, although the two sentences are technically OK, they are a little clunky.

And, since my cats don't have any pajamas, by thinking that I am the cat's pajamas I think that I don't exist.
Originally Posted By: Faldage
I think that, although the two sentences are technically OK, they are a little clunky.
Thanks, Faldage. I agree. That's why I would like to know how to phrase them correctly.

And, since my cats don't have any pajamas, by thinking that I am the cat's pajamas I think that I don't exist.

I know you exist since you are on that other word site
and participate in conversation there. So you are not
a hologram, please don't think yourself out of existence.
I had to look up 'cat's pajamas' to figure out what it
meant.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Are the above sentences fine/natural? ... - 12/07/13 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Lionel Koh
Thanks, Faldage. I agree. That's why I would like to know how to phrase them correctly.

if I might be so bold as to ask, where are you getting all of these clunky examples, and what are you doing with them?? {combining two(2) questions in one sentence}
Posted By: olly Re: Are the above sentences fine/natural? ... - 12/09/13 10:57 PM
Homework, I'd say!
I'd say, homework!

And speaking of fine/natural/clunky:

Say tsuwm, what snazz rule ok's your strange quirk of beginning each new sentence with a lower-case letter?
I've tried that question. Good Luck.
Originally Posted By: jenny jenny

Say tsuwm, what snazz rule ok's your strange quirk of beginning each new sentence with a lower-case letter?

It's the rule that says normal rules don't apply when you're just goofing around in a non-formal context. It has the added advantage of eliminating people who apply inapplicable rules from the group of people who pay attention to what you're saying rather than how you're saying it.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Are the above sentences fine/natural? ... - 12/10/13 03:52 PM
or, (choose one):

a) it's just part of my affected online persona; you know, like having a strident, importunate tone of voice in all of one's posts

b) I have a hand condition which makes it hard for me to type, much less use the SHIFT key

c) I'm just a shiftless and lazy guy

d) it's the rule that says normal rules don't apply when you're just goofing around in a non-formal context

e) all of the above

f) a, b, and d only
Of course, tsuwm, the answer to your riddle is (F).

Yes, you are obviously SHIFTLESS becausethe whole point is that you don't SHIFT, and obviously you are NOT LAZY because you prepared this elaborate quiz and test.
Ergo, (C) is contradictory, and inasmuch as we are instructed to choose only one answer (an answer we could not possibly discern without more information) our only other option is to choose (F).

Only there can we cover all three of your shortcommings in one fell swoop.
> a) it's just part of my affected online persona; you know, like having a strident, importunate tone of voice in all of one's posts

heh
Originally Posted By: Lionel Koh
It is an awesome and overwhelming feeling of appreciation to be able to witness the Grand Ceremony

commemorating the completion of the major renovation of the church.

I can truly feel the compassion of the pastor to rebuild / in rebuilding the church.

Are the above sentences fine/natural? Which words in bold should I use?

My suggestions:

The grand ceremony was awesome.
This ceremony is to commemorate the renovation of the church.
The pastor was passionate about the renovation of the church.

Thanks.
© Wordsmith.org