Wordsmith.org
Posted By: pendant Phlyarologist - 05/05/13 10:08 AM
Hello world smile

I would be very interested in your view of my understanding of the word 'phlyarologist'.

Everywhere I've looked, the word is defined as 'one who speaks nonsense': however, I disagree, and I would be very interested in thoughts on the matter.

Apologies if this seems like a thinly disguised attempt to funnel traffic to my blog; but it saves me a lot of typoing or cut-and-pasting if I just offer a link: A definition of 'phlyarologist' on the blog 'Wibble'

Thank you for your consideration.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Phlyarologist - 05/05/13 12:06 PM
Nothing like using a word no one will understand and will give up on looking up and when you explain to your poor victim will immediately classify you as a prime example.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Phlyarologist - 05/05/13 04:23 PM
well, FWIW, it is in OED online:

Etymology: < ancient Greek ϕλύαρος [phlyaros?] silly talk, nonsense (probably < ϕλύειν to boil over, to babble
Obs. nonce-wd. [i.e., it was coined for the instance and never used again, until the 'net discovered it - 2650 gh]

A person who talks nonsense.
1867 Athenĉum 12 Oct. 459/1, I would not meddle with such a phlyarologist.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Phlyarologist - 05/05/13 04:36 PM
here's a bit of context for the quote:

twinkle twinkle

(see point 2)
Posted By: BranShea Re: Phlyarologist - 05/06/13 07:49 AM
It sounds as cheerful as what it means.
I would not mind meddling with such a person.
Posted By: pendant Re: Phlyarologist - 05/06/13 09:34 AM
Thank you for the responses.

I wasn't aware that the OED already defines the word.

Would you have any advice about how to go about disputing the definition?

Thoughts on my argument -- preferably here, since this would seem to be an appropriate forum -- would be gratefully appreciated.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Phlyarologist - 05/06/13 10:34 AM
I would suggest that the correct way to dispute the standard definition would be to concede that you are wrong and get on with your life. However, if you insist on continuing with your mistaken idea you might try using it a lot in the way you think to be correct and hope that the fact that not one person in a thousand is going to know enough to contradict you will lead the rest of us poor fools to accept and use your definition.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Phlyarologist - 05/06/13 03:20 PM
My favorite oldtimer phlyarologist is Lewis Carroll of whom I quote the last couplet of the poem 'The Mad Garderner's Song"

Caroll

"He thought he saw an Argument
That proved he was the Pope:
He looked again, and found it was
A Bar of Mottled Soap.
'A fact so dread,' he faintly said,
'Extinguishes all hope!"

(imo there is not much to dispute,
but a lot through that word to enjoy.
I adopt the word whatever it's definition)

© Wordsmith.org