Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Football? - 02/04/13 12:36 AM
Nope, handegg.

Being the professional sports cynic that I am, I love this.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Football? - 02/04/13 03:12 AM
count me in as your lieutenant. Great stuff.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Football? - 02/04/13 11:23 AM
Just a minor nit. It should be pointing to the other foot for maximum effect.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Football? - 02/04/13 06:31 PM
Unless he is a leftfooter. (taking the ball with the right foot and shooting with the left.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Football? - 02/05/13 12:54 AM
The photo on the right should be labeled Elbowegg.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Football? - 02/05/13 01:29 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Unless he is a leftfooter. (taking the ball with the right foot and shooting with the left.

Then get a shot with him using his left foot. I ain't sayin', I'm just sayin'.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Football? - 02/05/13 01:51 AM
What I like is when they call basketball roundball. As if that were the onliest sport with a round ball.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Football? - 02/05/13 11:01 AM
"Then get a shot"
Get a shot? When he gives one? I ain't askin', I'm just askin'.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Football? - 02/08/13 10:29 PM
Yet this is a real question. What dó you say in general. A player gets a shot when he shoots a ball? It's in these little things a foreign speaker feels most uncomfortable. It's often straight opposites. So I would have said: gives a shot and that would have revealed me as a non native speaker.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Football? - 02/08/13 10:36 PM
he takes a shot.. he SCORES!

and the goalie (goalkeeper) has given (up) a goal.
(but that reads more like hockey-speak to me, not being much of a football (soccer) fan.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Football? - 02/09/13 02:36 AM
"Then get a shot"
Get a shot? When he gives one? I ain't askin', I'm just askin'.

It's simple: Faldage's "get a shot " means "obtain a photo" (or "take a picture"). If the player "gets a shot" or "has a shot," he has an opportunity to score, whether or not he takes the shot. If he scores, he makes the shot. Generally a doctor or nurse gives a shot, in which case the recipient gets a shot. See? Simple! So you could get a shot of the player getting a shot after getting a shot. Or the other way round.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Football? - 02/09/13 02:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
The photo on the right should be labeled Elbowegg.

heh
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: Football? - 02/09/13 03:46 AM
See BranShe? This is what you get for you a foreigner questioning that last bastion of American malehood i.e.
American Football
Gee, BranShe, that's all they have left. frown
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Football? - 02/09/13 02:27 PM
that's all they have left

Please then might I sell it to somebody else. I'll take five bucks or best offer.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Football? - 02/09/13 02:39 PM
Originally Posted By: jenny jenny
See BranShe? This is what you get for you a foreigner questioning that last bastion of American malehood i.e.
American Football

but, I'm an American, and I started this thread....
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: Football? - 02/10/13 05:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
Originally Posted By: jenny jenny
American Football

but, I'm an American, and I started this thread....

See? You Americans still can laugh at yourselves and sometimes you should. I should know as I am a American too but not a American male so I don't laugh with them but at them. They are a strange bunch. laugh
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Football? - 02/10/13 05:24 PM
As an English, male, one-time follower of 'the beautiful game,' [i.e., Soccer (Association Foorball)] may I say that tsuwm has it right - the player "takes a shot" at the goal. Leastwise, he does in English - and we did invent the game!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Football? - 02/10/13 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Rhubarb Commando
As an English, male, one-time follower of 'the beautiful game,' [i.e., Soccer (Association Football)] may I say that tsuwm has it right - the player "takes a shot" at the goal. Leastwise, he does in English - and we did invent the game!
Ah...he "takes a shot" at the goal. That sounds like action to me. Thanks. He gets the ball and takes a shot at the goal.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Football? - 02/10/13 10:53 PM
And by "get a shot" I did mean "obtain a photograph".
Posted By: BranShea Re: Football? - 02/11/13 11:18 AM
Yes thank you, that was adequately explained by Tromboniatior xept that the last phrase was bit confusing and Geenny Geenny added off track bastions. Thanks for clearing this simple language matter.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Football? - 02/11/13 10:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
And by "get a shot" I did mean "obtain a photograph".

aha!
Now is the winter of your missed intent made glorious something by this sum of talk.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Football? - 02/11/13 11:32 PM
adequately explained by Tromboniatior xept that the last phrase was bit confusing

So you could get a shot of the player getting a shot after getting a shot. Or the other way round.

You could take a photo of the player receiving an injection after kicking the ball at the goal, or kicking the ball at the goal after receiving an injection. It was intended to demonstrate the irony of my statement that it was simple. I have a tendency to get too clever for my own good, as my entire family will attest.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Football? - 02/12/13 08:42 AM
No no,it was funny enough, I understood the little game you played but I was following my tunnelviewed train of thought focussed on 'to get a shot ', 'to take a shot' or 'to give a shot'. It was about the differences of meaning between these verbs. We give a shot, the Brits take a shot and the Americans get a shot. Nitpicking on kicking (or the other way around) smile .
Posted By: Faldage Re: Football? - 02/12/13 12:12 PM
Incidentally, to further clarify (or muddy) things, what I specifically meant when I said "get a shot" was "find a photograph already taken by some photographer of a football player kicking the ball with his left foot." There is, of course, nothing in this proposed action to eliminate the possibility that the photographer in question would be you, in which case the act of taking the picture would be referred to a "getting a shot." "Getting a shot" in American parlance could also refer to the player finding an opportunity to kick the ball at the goal.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Football? - 02/12/13 03:11 PM
" We give a shot, the Brits take a shot and the Americans get a shot."

no, no, no! we don't differ from the Brits here, we just don't do it in football! (altho you might colloquially say, "we're running out of time here - let's take a shot at the end zone."

grin
Posted By: BranShea Re: Football? - 02/12/13 05:13 PM
Right, I understand by now that American football is played by ....hand. And shoot! it's allright, give it take it or leave it. grin
© Wordsmith.org