Wordsmith.org
Posted By: 1969 Word origin...Cockney - 08/31/12 11:53 AM
I've had no luck so far find the origin of the word "Cockney". I know what it means...a Londoner born within the sound of St. Mary-le-Bow's bells but not the derivation of the word itself. Help?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Word origin...Cockney - 08/31/12 12:23 PM
One of the more popular etymologies is that it is from the Middle English coken eye, literally "cock's egg", originally applied to a small, misshapen egg, later used as a term of derision by rural people to refer to city dwellers. It later became specifically applied to Londoners and eventually to one group of Londoners.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Word origin...Cockney - 08/31/12 04:53 PM
Most interesting, thanks.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Word origin...Cockney - 08/31/12 07:26 PM
As a Londoner myself, although not, technically a cockney, I agree with Faldo's etymology. There seems, also, to be some conection with "the land of Cockayne," but I'm not too sure just what that involves. However, it woukd appear to be a place of ease and plenty, significantly a land where there is no shortage of food - a very important motivation for the poor of London. An absence of people overlooking and regulating your life and no restirctions o your "liberty" seem to fiogure large in tale of this fabled land.
Posted By: Candy Re: Word origin...Cockney - 09/01/12 03:35 AM
Ah...if only such a place existed.
© Wordsmith.org