Wordsmith.org
Posted By: apobene Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/11/01 06:35 PM
There are several words that describe a certain degree of light,like,glimmer,brilliant,radiant,gleam etc.In arabic the word "NUUR"means the essence of light.Any idea about the word that clearly means the essence of light?

Posted By: J.P. Esquire Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/11/01 06:54 PM
Perhaps "incandescence" works, or "illumination."

But then again, is there really any difference between "effulgence" and "incandescence"? And does "illumination" truly bespeak the very "essence" of light? Well, it looks like I wasn't much help!

Posted By: of troy Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/11/01 07:15 PM
I like incandescence-- but I don't think it it's the essesnce of light-- I would suggest luminous.. or lucent-- which of course, is just closer latin word for light (light coming in from OHG--from the latin luc-)

I especially like luminous-- since its seems a cooler word-- it frees light from the heat (of the sun, and from the heat of incandescence) the moon is luminous. and it keep a sense light as shiny-- like silver or gold. and luminous sound ethereal-- or it does to me at any rate.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/12/01 03:41 AM
Welcome, apobene, and good luck in your endeavors. I once dated one of your countrymen. He was from Ismir. (Aside:
I special-ordered a bottle of Izmira, which is vodka if I recall correctly, as a present. He was delighted to have it again, and said at home they drink it mixed with beer.)

Now, your query: by "essence" of light, do you mean what it is or what it does? Light is a form of energy, but it shines. I humbly offer this post as fodder for those more knowledgeable to pounce gleefully upon... with the caveat that I interpreted his question as wanting a good mental image of light, not a scientific
description.

Posted By: Avy Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/12/01 09:41 AM
>Now, your query: by "essence" of light, do you mean what it is or what it does?

I am familiar with the word Noor (Nuur) which also exists in Urdu. I think the essence consists of both what it is and what it does. To my mind the word Noor would be in the category of radiance, effulgence, brilliance.
However none of these words have the poetic connotations that the word Noor has. Noor is also a woman's name.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/14/01 08:07 AM
Well, first of all you have to believe in essences! This belief is by far not general among the various philosophical schools. An essence is something presumed to reside behind or above the phenomena that our senses can perceive. Why should lightning (effulgence) and the glow of a glow-worm have an "essence" in common?

Posted By: wow Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/14/01 04:07 PM
Why should lightning (effulgence) and the glow of a glow-worm have an "essence" in common?

Why not?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/14/01 04:41 PM
Why should lightning (effulgence) and the glow of a glow-worm have an "essence" in common?

Why not?

Because to me, the essence of lightning is hot
and the essence of a glow-worm is cool, for one thing. Help me out here, m.g.

Posted By: wow Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/15/01 12:49 PM
Jackie: to me, the essence of lightning is hot

Really? It seems icy to me!

Posted By: wsieber Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/17/01 06:32 AM
the essence of lightning is hot - It seems icy to me!
This proves once more that consensus on essences is anything but close. What about light being an essence itself?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/17/01 12:38 PM
What about light being an essence itself?
No. Light can be further defined. One way is to say it is visible energy. And, thinking of that, I have had an
enlightenment: the essence of light is visibility! Come on, I dare you all to come up with something better.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/17/01 03:55 PM
>the essence of light is visibility!

so, I'm guessing that you would consider the phrase 'invisible light' to be nothing more than an oxymoron....

Posted By: Jackie Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/17/01 06:02 PM
so, I'm guessing that you would consider the phrase 'invisible light' to be nothing more than an oxymoron....
I figured somebody'd shine the spotlight on my omission.
I referred only to visible light because I thought that's what our dear apobene was asking about.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/18/01 02:17 AM
No. Light can be further defined. One way is to say it is visible energy. And, thinking of that, I have had an enlightenment: the essence of light is visibility! Come on, I dare you all to come up with something better.

If essence is undefinable, asking after it is asking after nothing. There's something essentially appealing about nothing, not?

Or, otherwise: the essence of light is the definition of light provided the definition of light is undefinable.

The Hebrew "Ner" is "lamp": then the essence of light is that which makes it and we are back to Day One and Skokie.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/18/01 07:00 AM
There's something essentially appealing about nothing, not?

"There is nothing to be afraid of." (Ronald Laing)

Posted By: wsieber Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/18/01 07:04 AM
consider the phrase 'invisible light' to be nothing more than an oxymoron....
It is an oxymoron alright, which, like many others, has its uses (not just for Mr. Bush).

Posted By: Bingley Re: Is effulgence THE ESSENCE of light? - 05/18/01 09:28 AM
In reply to:

Noor is also a woman's name.

I remember when I was teaching in Bandung, one of my students was called Nursahara, which I thought was a lovely name.

Bingley

Posted By: Faldage Re: Nothing - 05/18/01 11:05 AM
There's something essentially appealing about nothing

And so many manufacturers openly confess in advertisements that it is better than their products.

© Wordsmith.org