Wordsmith.org
Posted By: EricRush oology & zoology - 05/10/01 10:15 PM
Word of the Day a few days ago--oology--had listed as pronunciation: oo-ology, rhyming with the commom mispronunciation of zoology as zoo-ology.

There aren't enough 'o's in the words for those pronunciations. The first 'o' in each words is long. It's zo-ology and o-ology.

Eric Rush
Posted By: rodward Re: oology & zoology - 05/11/01 10:31 AM
common mispronunciation of zoology as zoo-ology

Eric, welcome to the board. As I (in UK) have never heard zo-ology, I looked it up. Cambridge online English dictionary gives zoo-ology with zo-ology as a variant, but the Cambridge American dictionary gives zo-ology, that is if I am reading the phonetic runes correctly.

Cambridge American:
zoology zou'al.e.dzi (turn "e" upside down!) "ou"= as in nose
Cambridge English:
zoology zu'al.e.dzi (turn "a" and "e" upside down!) "u"= as in influenza

So I am allowed to say zoo-ology, but you ain't

Rod

Posted By: wow Re: oology & zoology - 05/11/01 03:49 PM
So I am allowed to say zoo-ology, but you ain't

Go ahead and use it anyway, Eric! Be a bit of a devil!
wow

Posted By: inselpeter Re: oology & zoology - 05/11/01 03:54 PM
<< <<So I am allowed to say zoo-ology, but you ain't>>

Go ahead and use it anyway, Eric! Be a bit of a devil! wow>>

If you must, but for the love of God, spell it zooology.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: oology & zoology - WHAT THE??!! - 05/11/01 06:58 PM
The quoted text below is from a post I made when Eric had no other responses to his question. I found it by going into my profile and clicking "show all user's posts" According to the listing it was made, Board time, on Thursday 10 May, at 18:18:51. Yet, it DOES NOT SHOW UP in the thread at all. What is going on?

There aren't enough 'o's in the words for those pronunciations. It's zo(long 'o')-ology and o(log 'o')-ology

Welcome aBoard, Eric. Seeing your name sent me rushing to your profile as Eric Rush is the name of a sporting deity here in NZ. As to your post, perhaps, the AWAD mail was in fact a eulogy to zoo-logy and oo-logy.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: oology & zoology - WHAT THE??!! - 05/11/01 07:43 PM
What is going on?

I dunno... uh, you done anything to offend Ænigma lately?

P.S. love the eulogy-zoology-oology

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: oology & zoology - WHAT THE??!! - 05/11/01 09:26 PM
I dunno... uh, you done anything to offend Ænigma lately?

The thought flashed across my mind that it might be AWAD's founder extending his policy of not replying to my messages.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: oology & zoology - WHAT THE??!! - 05/11/01 09:53 PM
max, do me a BIG favor and take this link...
[thread now password protected]
hang on tight! [i'm a wordsmith, not an engineer, jim]
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: oology & zoology - WHAT THE??!! - 05/11/01 10:03 PM
Thanks, tsuwm,m that was both weird and wonderful. Perhaps Anu is trialling a new moderation technique - lettting the people he wants to screen out think that their posts are being accepted, while sending them into The Twilight Zone®

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: oology & zoology - WHAT THE??!! - 05/11/01 10:58 PM
Looks like what we have here is the first known case of meta-thread at AWAD. Be afwaid. Be vewwy, vewwy afwaid....

Posted By: Jackie Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/12/01 03:18 AM
Tsuwm--in, in, your link...it appears as though Max's missing post starts the thread. Did you do that on purpose? (I hope.)
===========================================================
Edit
MEGA MEGA weirdness, you-all! I just made a post in tsuwm's link, and while I was there, I saw (I think--I am not at all sure that I can trust my eyes or my mind, at this point) that he had posted astonishment at finding ONE
thread view listed. My post THERE is not HERE. It was:
This is a test post, made in tsuwm's link. I want to see if it shows up on the screen that Max's post is missing from.
This is really creepy! [shiver of apprehension ]

Posted By: Bingley Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/12/01 06:54 AM
If you look at Max's orphaned thread in threaded mode, you will see that the top of the thread is an untitled post made at 19:00:00 on Dec. 31, 1969 .

What the significance of this might be I have no idea.

Bingley
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/12/01 07:01 AM
Edit
MEGA MEGA weirdness, you-all! I just made a post in tsuwm's link, and while I was there, I saw (I think--I am not at all sure that I can trust my eyes or my mind, at this point) that he had posted astonishment at finding ONE
thread view listed. My post THERE is not HERE. It was:
This is a test post, made in tsuwm's link. I want to see if it shows up on the screen that Max's post is missing from.
This is really creepy! [shiver of apprehension ]

It is slightly unsettling isn't it? AWAD's version of the campside ghost story, perhaps? I am interested to see how long the "hidden" thread can get to be. A big thanks to tsuwm for publishing the link, still the only way in, to the best of my knowledge.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/12/01 07:53 AM
If you look at Max's orphaned thread in threaded mode, you will see that the top of the thread is an untitled post made at 19:00:00 on Dec. 31, 1969 .

This is unbelievable! Just when one thinks it could not be any more laughably surreal,, one is shown that the mystery thread has been around since the days of ARPAnet!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/12/01 07:57 AM
Yes, I posted a comment to the orphan. She's called Annie, although I at first thought she was Dorothy ...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/12/01 02:13 PM
my page size is set at ten (10) posts... I just posted number (#) 11 in The Thread... so far I have not found it, although there is a page 2 indicated, which is (of course) Empty.

if I can remember what I typed, I will Search and Destr...

Posted By: wow Re: Missing "link" -weirdness - 05/12/01 02:32 PM
As I am feeling quite Magisterial today, I, quite arbitrarily, (or should that be capriciously?) sent the missing page to Anu and the webmaster.
Hold onto your hats as down the rabbit hole we go ---> Whhheeeeeeeeee

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/14/01 06:29 PM
I, too, posted a message to the parallel universe thread. It should have appeared on the second page, but did not. The second page indicated 66 views, while the first still said 1.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/14/01 07:08 PM
Indeed, Sparteye. My second meta-page shows (now) 68 views, and no posts.

Now I *really miss Douglas Adams.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/14/01 07:53 PM
My second meta-page shows (now) 68 views, and no posts.

I just modified my display preferences to increase the number of posts shown on one page, and all posts made to that mystrey thread are now visible for me, including those that disappeared when they went to page 2

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/14/01 08:00 PM
Right, Max. I did likewise, with the same result. I wonder if the threadnodists® have any trouble viewing the entire thang? Somehow, I suspect not.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/14/01 08:03 PM
> I wonder if the threadnodists® have any trouble viewing the entire
thang? Somehow, I suspect not.

once you've exceeded your page limit, it's the only way to view the whole thing.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/14/01 09:08 PM
Boohoo. So, I wanted to go read what people had posted to the second page of the alternate universe thread, but now the link is password protected. Huh?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/14/01 09:20 PM
I dunno, Sparteye, sounds like those wild 'n' crazy Germans up to their old tricks again.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/14/01 11:39 PM
password protected

I think was just ron obvious' cousin, pete paranoid, playin' wit ya. I saved the url, and will sell a license for its use to the highest bidder.
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=27091

Posted By: Jackie Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/15/01 01:02 AM
More:
I, too, can get to p. 2 but see no posts in flat, but saw them all ( I guess!) in threaded, and tsuwm, I found that at last there is one thing we stand united on: hatred of threaded mode.
P. 1 will not let me go back, but p. 2 WILL let me go forward, to the first 11 posts of "What's the Word?", and back to Hair Do (one page) and probably beyond.
My BROWSER'S back arrow is inoperative (when I first get to the parallel u.). But if I hit Q & A, it takes me to---
the REAL Q & A! BU-u-ut--if I click back from there, I can then return to the parallel universe thread.

I sent myself a private message from each of the two worlds,
and both showed up in both.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/15/01 05:02 AM
When I tried show all to see what's on page 2, I was redirected to the dotage thread in Q&A.
And if I go to threaded, select one from page 2 and then try going back to flat, I still end up on page 1.

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/19/01 04:30 AM
I just went to see if anyone had ventured over there and perhaps might require rescue by landing party, and found this interesting date for a non-existent first post:
Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969

This was in threaded mode, of course, and unfortunately had no subject and no author--though it did have a book icon.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/19/01 04:33 AM
I just went to see if anyone had ventured over there and perhaps might require rescue by landing party, and found this interesting date for a non-existent first post:
Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so. - D.N.A.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/20/01 09:58 AM
When I tried show all to see what's on page 2, I was redirected to the dotage thread in Q&A.
And if I go to threaded, select one from page 2 and then try going back to flat, I still end up on page 1.

Take any n-dimensional cube and fold it in on itself. Follow the lines that creates. If you find what you're looking for, turn right and follow the tram lines to wherever you're going. It'll either be the Tardis or Magarethea.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/20/01 02:07 PM
>It'll either be the Tardis or Magarethea.

mention of the TARDIS® reminds me that Douglas Adams was story editor (and sometime episode writer) for some of the better Dr. Who sequences, during the late 70s (Tom Baker as the Doc-tor).

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/20/01 05:32 PM
reminds me that Douglas Adams was story editor (and sometime episode writer) for some of the better Dr. Who sequences, during the late 70s

Yus, indeedy, Pooh-Bah the Oneth, suh!

Posted By: ladymoon Re: Meta-mega-weirdness - 05/21/01 12:32 AM
Would that be the cube in the pictorial illusion thread?

© Wordsmith.org