Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie agglomerating - 02/16/12 06:48 PM
Is this a real word? As in the article I just read, agglomerating unprecedented amounts of data?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: agglomerating - 02/16/12 06:53 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agglomerate

agglomerate
Popularity

3 ENTRIES FOUND:
1) agglomerate (verb)
2) agglomerate (adjective)
3) agglomerate (noun)

1ag·glom·er·ate verb \ə-ˈglä-mə-ˌrāt\
ag·glom·er·at·edag·glom·er·at·ing

Definition of AGGLOMERATE

transitive verb
: to gather into a ball, mass, or cluster
See agglomerate defined for kids »
Examples of AGGLOMERATE

Origin of AGGLOMERATE

Latin agglomeratus, past participle of agglomerare to heap up, join, from ad- + glomer-, glomus ball — more at clam
First Known Use: 1684
Related to AGGLOMERATE

Synonyms: wad, ball, roll, round
Antonyms: unroll
[+]more
Rhymes with AGGLOMERATE

abbreviate, abominate, accelerate, accentuate, accommodate, acculturate, accumulate, adjudicate, adulterate, affiliate, alienate, alleviat...
[+]more
Posted By: HalAl Re: agglomerating - 02/17/12 01:12 AM
I wonder if the anatomical term, "glomerulus" might be related? It's a cluster of blood vessels in the kidney.
Posted By: Jackie Re: agglomerating - 02/17/12 01:12 AM
First Known Use: 1684 shocked Wow! As usual, I am behind the times, but I sure didn't realize how far! Thank you!

Okay--then, is glom a real word? As in, glom on to something?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: agglomerating - 02/17/12 01:15 AM
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=glom&searchmode=none

glom
1907, glahm "grab, snatch, steal," Amer.Eng. underworld slang, from Scot. glaum (1715), apparently from Gael. glam "to handle awkwardly, grab voraciously, devour." Sense of "look at, watch" (1945) apparently is derived from the same source. Related: Glommed; glomming.
Posted By: Jackie Re: agglomerating - 02/17/12 02:14 AM
Hal, your post must've been processing as I was writing my second one, 'cause this is my first time seeing it. But I bet you're right; it sure sounds logical, anyway.

Thanks again, Luke. smile So glom and agglomerate are not etymologically related? That amazes me--their meanings are so similar: gather, grab.
Posted By: Faldage Re: agglomerating - 02/17/12 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
First Known Use: 1684

Okay--then, is glom a real word? As in, glom on to something?

And what, pray tell, is your definition of a "real word"?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: agglomerating - 02/17/12 01:33 PM
what [...] is your definition of a "real word"?

Obviously, from the answer, it's in the dictionary, but what is one's definition of dictionary.

All kidding aside, it's non-real words like dord or epicacostacy.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: agglomerating - 02/17/12 01:48 PM
I suppose that a word is "real" as soon as someone, somewhere uses it and someone else understands what is meant. f the word spreads and is understood by an increasing number of people and for an increasing length of time, then it is likely to reach the dictionary. But even if this doesn't happen and its existance is merely transitory, it is still as real as the spark from a fire.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: just between you & I [sic] - 02/17/12 02:04 PM
I suppose that a word is "real" as soon as someone, somewhere uses it and someone else understands what is meant. [I]f the word spreads and is understood by an increasing number of people and for an increasing length of time, then it is likely to reach the dictionary.

Well, that's a relief. So, irregardless is a word. I'd say this "rule" holds true for new meanings of old, real words, too. (Take that decimation, peevers!) Welcome to the "linguistics side", RC. "This time, I know, our side will win."
Posted By: Faldage Re: just between you & I [sic] - 02/17/12 11:27 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
So, irregardless is a word.

I pulled my intensive-prefix argument for irregardless on John McIntyre's Facebook page and he repeated it.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: just between you & I [sic] - 02/18/12 01:49 AM
he repeated it.

Did he cite you?
Posted By: Jackie Re: just between you & I [sic] - 02/18/12 04:00 AM
Hmm--are there words that could be described as having a half-life? (More than nonce but less than "real"?)
Posted By: Faldage Re: just between you & I [sic] - 02/18/12 12:25 PM
he repeated it.

Did he cite you?

No. Better. He just stated it as fact.
Posted By: BranShea Re: just between you & I [sic] - 02/18/12 03:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Hmm--are there words that could be described as having a half-life? (More than nonce but less than "real"?)
The words that walk in shadows, the code words, meant to not be understood except by those who know the code; words like 'repelsteeltje'.
Posted By: Faldage Re: just between you & I [sic] - 02/18/12 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
he repeated it.

Did he cite you?

No. Better. He just stated it as fact.

Rat cheer it is.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: just between you & I [sic] - 02/18/12 04:46 PM
Steal from the best: an old adage.
Posted By: Jackie Re: just between you & I [sic] - 02/19/12 01:35 AM
No, he's at least half aldage.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: just between you & I [sic] - 02/19/12 11:39 AM