Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Deaccession Depicting something as dangerous - 01/06/12 04:23 PM
Looking for a word that means depicting something as dangerous, perhaps more than is warranted.

Help is much appreciated!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/06/12 07:29 PM
May I add my question to yours? What is more dangerous, dangerous or perilous?
Posted By: Deaccession Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/06/12 07:36 PM
Sure, good question!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/07/12 01:20 AM
Vilify? If this isn't the word you're looking for, it's a good place to start in a thesaurus.
Posted By: Candy Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/07/12 05:29 AM
Threat ?

But I dont think thats enough...I'll think on it some more.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/07/12 10:45 AM
Aspersing? Calumniating?
Posted By: Candy Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/07/12 11:05 AM
I dont think they are it Peter....something false about those words!
Posted By: Candy Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/07/12 11:20 AM
I was thinking 'foreboding' or 'apocalyptic' but I'm not convinced yet...
Posted By: BranShea Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/07/12 06:53 PM
I propose damgerous mad as searching for one word that covers "extremely dangerous" doesn't give any result.
Originally Posted By: Deaccession
Looking for a word that means depicting something as dangerous, perhaps more than is warranted.

How about "foreboding"? or possibly. "menacing"?

E.g., "The poster on the wall had a foreboding image" or, "The note I received was menacing in the extreme."
Posted By: Candy Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/08/12 01:11 AM
I think I mentioned foreboding.....
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/08/12 01:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Candy
I dont think they are it Peter....something false about those words!

I beg your pardon? Oh, right, there is something false about them:

Asperse is to attack with evil reports or false or injurious charges. Calumniate is to to utter maliciously false statements, charges, or imputations about.

I don't know, they may not necessarily imply danger, but to me they have a sense of warning, and certainly the idea of going too far. Works in my head! I felt that "perhaps more than is warranted" is fundamental to the question.
Posted By: Candy Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/08/12 01:41 AM
Yes...both things to be wary of, thats for sure.
Posted By: Avy Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/08/12 02:15 AM
Sinister? (No double speak intended)
Originally Posted By: Candy
I think I mentioned foreboding.....

You certainly did, Candy.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/08/12 06:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Deaccession
perhaps more than is warranted.

I do not quite understand this part of the question. Being alive is dangerous. How many degrees of danger can there be?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/08/12 10:17 PM
going back to the OP again, it seems like what is wanted is a verb (or a gerund, at least), so howz about to forebode, or even to threaten
Posted By: Jackie Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/09/12 01:12 AM
Good heavens, Branny--I have just realized that your question had flown right out of my head by the time I made my first post above; sorry, Sweetie.
What is more dangerous, dangerous or perilous?
Perilous. Dangerous has been watered down to where it can mean a very small degree of risk. Perilous, on the other hand, almost always means a high risk of physical -- well, peril.
Though with both it's best to take the meaning from the context.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/09/12 09:42 AM
"You stay away from that boy. He'll lead you into drugs and all sorts of depravity."
"Mom, last summer he got a warning for driving too fast. That's the worst thing he's ever done."

To my mind, that's what we're talking about here: overreacting, exaggerating, that kind of thing.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/09/12 10:35 AM
Yes, I was thinking in that direction, T r o m
Posted By: Faldage Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/09/12 12:30 PM
We run into the same problem here we usually run into. We play around with related aspects of the thing we are after. A lot of things can be called exaggerating or overreacting without having anything at all to do with danger. It's kind of like:

Q: What word is it that describes a banana?

A: Yellow.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/09/12 10:32 PM
The initial question seems a bit lame to me, perhaps more than is warranted.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/10/12 03:48 AM
This is driving me crazy! (Yeah, yeah, short drive; I know!) I'm beginning to think there isn't one single word. I thought of malign, but like vilify it doesn't necessarily mean danger.
I want to say things like sinisterize.

What's the opposite of sugar-coat?
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/10/12 08:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
We run into the same problem here we usually run into. We play around with related aspects of the thing we are after. A lot of things can be called exaggerating or overreacting without having anything at all to do with danger.

Faldage, I meant overreacting to or exaggerating the danger of something, overstating it either accidentally or deliberately. I'm still trying to define what we are talking about rather than suggesting an answer to the question (since Candy vetoed my suggestions grin) . The focus of discussion seems to be on the danger, and I think that to answer the question more attention needs to be paid to the distortion of that danger.
Posted By: Candy Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/10/12 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
.... I'm still trying to define what we are talking about rather than suggesting an answer to the question (since Candy vetoed my suggestions grin) .

blush laugh
Posted By: Candy Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/10/12 11:16 AM
In movies of course a dangerous action, mystery, suspense, tension or horror...is accompanied with 'suitable' dramatic music...so we 'know' whats coming!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/11/12 10:51 PM
What's with these sentences? What is it?

Looking for a word that means depicting something as dangerous.
Looking for a word that means to depict something as being dangerous.

Looking for a word that means depicting something as fluffy.
Looking for a word that means to depict something as being fluffy.

Looking for a word that means depicting something as rough.
Looking for a word that means to depict something as being rough.

Each time I look at the question one way or the other I think it is odd, just odd.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/12/12 03:03 AM
The second form of each is more formal than we US'n's tend to be, at least in speech. Most of us wouldn't say the word being. Though it is correct.

Hmm--does it help to set apart the phrase, as: Looking for a word that means 'to depict something as being dangerous'.

Also--more informal speech--all of these omit the "I am" that could/would/should begin the sentence--which really isn't a sentence without those words.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/12/12 06:19 AM
Thanks for the effort Jackie, but that's not what I mean. I mean I understand the phrase but I don't understand the question. I think Faldage mentioned it rightly: something like a banana and
yellow, some pages back.
Bran, Jackie is quite correct in saying that the two forms can be equivalent. However, in some contexts, they can have different connotations.
If something is 'dangerous', then that is its perpetual state: if it is 'being dangerous', then it isn't always thatb way, but is at the moment.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/12/12 09:49 PM
Thanks, I see, yes I see what you mean.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Depicting something as dangerous - 01/13/12 02:51 AM
Deaccession better get back on here and let us know if any of these suggestions fit, before some of us have our heads spin clean off! [mild threat e]
© Wordsmith.org