Wordsmith.org
Posted By: carmita9 Often - 12/26/11 12:18 AM
For years and years, I haven't been able to find the complete, accurate answer. /often/ or /ofen/. Which is the right way to pronounce it?
Please don't tell me it depends on the area where English is spoken. Are there any specific rules available?
Thank you in advance, and Merry Christmas to all at Wordsmisth.

carmita9 (Spain) confused smile
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Often - 12/26/11 04:08 AM
it depends on the area.. no, I won't say it.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Often - 12/26/11 04:19 AM
It's not as simple as just where English is spoken. It can vary from speaker to speaker in the same area. You can go either way and someone will be irritated, but that's their problem, not yours.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Often - 12/27/11 04:24 AM
Hi, carmita, and welcome. I'm afraid that both pronunciations are considered correct; but you can hear for yourself here. Click on any or all of the dictionaries listed.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Often - 12/28/11 02:35 PM
The silent 't' was the prescribed pronunciation back a generation or two, but now many pronounce the 't'. (I have even been corrected by people, when I don't pronounce the 't', which is what I learned in school. As others have said, both pronunciations are considered correct, at least in US English.

There are other words, where English silly spelling system has influenced pronunciation. When Middle English speakers borrowed parfit from the Normans, it was pretty much pronounced as spelled. Then the spelling changed to reflect its Latin etymology, perfect, but still pronounced parfit. Before you knew it, it was being pronounced /'pErfEkt/.

Even Spanish has some differences in pronunciation (that have changed over the years and are partially regional, url=v]link[/url]). (Although its orthography it much better than English.)
Posted By: Faldage Re: Often - 12/28/11 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
[url=v]link[/url]).

Oops.

Meanwhile, I'm patiently waiting for someone to pronounce the S in island.
Posted By: Candy Re: Often - 12/31/11 05:53 AM
you'll be waiting forever Faldo
no-ones going to take that on, its too difficult!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Often - 12/31/11 12:25 PM
If you leave the S unvoiced it's just like Iceland. Not particularly difficult on this side of the equator. Voicing the S doesn't add to much to the difficulty. I guess the fact that we don't pronounce the S in isle helps us not pronounce it in island. Still, it's a solecism. Five hundred years of misspelling it doesn't make that spelling correct.
Posted By: Candy Re: Often - 12/31/11 12:40 PM
Its not just misspelling...some letters are obsolete like in esophagus or oesophagus..but some of us (me) like the original spelling!
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Often - 12/31/11 05:01 PM
.. and just to add my bit to the confusion, the C19 UK received pronunciation of 'often' was "orfen". W.S.Gilbert used it to comic effect in The Pirates of Penzance
This pronunciation persisted amongst upper-class speakers in the UK right in to the 1960s.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Often - 01/01/12 02:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Rhubarb Commando
.. and just to add my bit to the confusion, the C19 UK received pronunciation of 'often' was "orfen". W.S.Gilbert used it to comic effect in The Pirates of Penzance
This pronunciation persisted amongst upper-class speakers in the UK right in to the 1960s.

For certain small values of R.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Often - 01/01/12 10:38 PM
Oops: link.
Posted By: maverick Re: insular - 01/01/13 06:48 PM
> Five hundred years of misspelling

mm, you got that right Fong.

Now, where's my Websters...? [exits SR with innocent grin/]
© Wordsmith.org