Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Eubie Kwyatt The Great Vowel Shift - 05/05/01 09:30 PM
Years ago, I read about something called The Great Vowel Shift. IIRC, it took place in the late 1800s and affected the entire English-speaking world. In the matter of a few short years, the conventional pronunciation of all the vowels rotated, kind of like getting a fresh cup at the Mad Hatter's teaparty. There are a few words that retain their earlier vowel sounds, but those are now seen as exceptions to pronunciation rules. "Women" (wimmen) is one such hold-over, I think.

Other than that one article on the topic, I have never seen anything to corroborate the story. Could anyone point me to a scholarly but not dry discussion of the topic?

Along the same lines, could all of the contractions and lazy pronunciations discussed in the "Him vs. 'eem" thread be the early suggestions of another such shift?

What about the apparently interchangeability of word pronunciations like "krik/kreek" for "creek?" As it spills out of my own mouth, I can detect no pattern in when I use one or the other in reference to a small stream, but always the long e in reference to the sound of a rusty hinge.

Lance ==)----------------
-=[ Puns are their own reword. ]=-

Posted By: musick Re: The Great Shift - 05/06/01 03:27 PM
...scholarly but not dry discussion of the topic?

This I've got to see...

Right after *the civil war there was a very large northernly shift that may explain... (I'll shut up now)

© Wordsmith.org