Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jmh story - 04/20/00 06:24 PM
When did story stop meaning a tale (as in storybook) and start meaning outfit (as in fashion)

You can't look at a clothes catalogue (and I don't often) without seeing "a story in soft grey" or any concoction of clothes described as a story. Has anyone else noticed this. is it just the latest marketing-speak.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: story - 04/20/00 07:04 PM
maybe we should blame Rod Stewart for this...

("Every Picture Tells a Story")

8-)

Posted By: Philophile Re: story - 04/27/00 12:10 AM
The fashion use seems to be marketspeak, as you say.

But another more established use is just as puzzling to me... When did it start referring to a level of a building (as in "The office is two stories up.")?

[P.]
Posted By: tsuwm Re: story - 04/27/00 01:08 AM
every picture tells a story! (who knew?)

from American Heritage Dictionary (AHD):
1. A complete horizontal division of a building, constituting the area between two adjacent levels. 2. The set of rooms on the same level of a building. [Middle English storie, story, from Medieval Latin historia, picture, story (probably from painted windows or sculpture on the front of buildings)

http://members.aol.com/tsuwm/
Posted By: paulb Re: story - 04/27/00 12:34 PM
Interestingly, for us non-Americans, this word is spelled with an extra 'e', as in single-storeyed building. Anyone know when or why? My Shorter Oxford just notes 'story' in this sense as 'earlier'.

Cheers
Paul Bywater

Posted By: jmh Re: story - 04/27/00 01:17 PM
> maybe we should blame Rod Stewart for this...

well Maggie may

Posted By: wwh Re: story - 04/09/02 08:24 PM
Dear jmh: I am amazed that the style writes could be satisfied with such a pedestrian word as "story" when the could have called it a "symphony" "a poem" "a statement" except that all of those have already been worn out. Figuratively that is.

Posted By: jmh Re: story - 04/09/02 09:20 PM
Gosh Bill, this was well buried, I'd forgotten the discussion. you are quite right, story is such a dull word to use, I'm sure that they could do better.

Posted By: wwh Re: story - 04/10/02 01:20 AM
Dear jmh: I didn't resurrect this thread. What I know about fashion reporting you could comfortably put in your eye. It had no reply, so fool that I am, I rushed in.

© Wordsmith.org