Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Paul Help With a Quote - 05/02/01 07:46 PM
This is a question about a quotation rather than a word; but as AWAD provides us with quotations as well, I hope I'm not misusing this category.

I came across this about 15 years ago (I think) and it has so stuck with me that I use it all the time. But, alas, I never wrote down its author and so have no idea who said it. I've tried looking in MANY places to no avail. Can someone help me with this???

The quotation is something like:

" Never precede any maneuver by a comment more predictive than 'Watch this!'"

Thanks!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Help With a Quote - 05/02/01 07:57 PM
the only place this seems to turn up online is as the 3rd Law of Frisbee; it seems as though it could be applied much more generally:

3. One must never precede any maneuver by a comment more predictive than,"watch this!"

Posted By: Paul Re: Help With a Quote - 05/02/01 08:44 PM
Yes, someone did find that Frisbee reference for me. But when I first encountered the quote, it was given with its author. I think the Frisbee folks have used it much as I have, but without the original attribution.

Paul

Posted By: wwh Re: Help With a Quote - 05/02/01 09:13 PM
And "Watch this" should be used sparingly. It can be the hubris that tempts the Gods.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Help With a Quote - 05/03/01 12:34 PM
Indeed, I have heard that the most frequent last words of a redneck are, "Hey, y'all! Watch this!"

Posted By: juanmaria Re: Help With a Quote - 05/03/01 03:54 PM
Never precede any demo by a comment more predictive than "Watch this!".

This slightly modified version is included on the “fortune cookies” archives of certain Unix systems. It’s one of my favorites but no clue about its author.

Posted By: wow Re: Quote - Watch this! - 05/03/01 04:24 PM
Wish I could help, it's a great quote.

Only one I have heard is ... supposedly from the Bent Nose Brigade .... "Never threaten. To threaten is to warn."

Posted By: Bingley Re: Help With a Quote - 05/07/01 11:56 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the last words of a general in the US'n Civil War were "They couldn't hit an elephant at this ....".

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Help With a Quote - 05/07/01 01:02 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the last words of a general in the US'n Civil War were "They couldn't hit an elephant at this ....".

Oh! Like the boa constrictor song ends: "Oh dread!
Oh dread! He's up to my

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Help With a Quote - 05/09/01 10:04 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the last words of a general in the US'n Civil War were "They couldn't hit an elephant at this ...."

I read somewhere that "generals always fight the last war and the new war is the last one they fight".

© Wordsmith.org