Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm a paradox? - 04/29/11 02:49 AM
a reader (who's a lawyer) asks:

Someone says, "I didn't taste the soup. I did taste the soup." That statement is nonsense, and it's a simple self-contradiction. Either part can be true, but not both.

Someone else says, "I didn't taste the soup, because it is too salty." This too is nonsense, but it's not merely a self-contradiction. His opinion of saltiness may be correct or incorrect, but the mere fact that he has an opinion disproves the claim that he hasn't tasted the soup. The statement is paradoxical, somewhat like "I am asleep," or "The village barber shaves everyone who doesn't shave himself."

Is there a name for this sort of paradox?

I'd say no, but what do I know of paradoxes.
Posted By: olly Re: a paradox? - 04/29/11 03:24 AM
A contradiction Paradox?
Seems like a topic the fallible fiend would sink his teeth into.
Posted By: bexter Re: a paradox? - 05/02/11 02:52 PM
heyhey! Paradoxes my friend are many, each with their own snazzy names and history...I think the one you are talking about (didn't/did) is like the one in my signature: it is QUINE'S PARADOX (related to the LIAR PARADOX ie 'this is not a sentence'), a paradox concerning truth values, such as in my signature where, in simple terms, the sentence implies that it is false, which is paradoxical - for if it is false, what it states is in fact true.
Posted By: BranShea Re: a paradox? - 05/02/11 05:07 PM
smile
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: a paradox? - 05/03/11 02:36 PM
Originally Posted By: bexter
heyhey! Paradoxes my friend are many, each with their own snazzy names and history...I think the one you are talking about (didn't/did) is like the one in my signature: it is QUINE'S PARADOX (related to the LIAR PARADOX ie 'this is not a sentence'), a paradox concerning truth values, such as in my signature where, in simple terms, the sentence implies that it is false, which is paradoxical - for if it is false, what it states is in fact true.

Yes!
Posted By: obihave Re: a paradox? - 05/03/11 07:06 PM
Wow...I'm so dizzy!
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: a paradox? - 05/05/11 06:55 AM
I might be dizzy, but it's too swoon to tell.
Posted By: olly Re: a paradox? - 05/05/11 07:04 AM
Nice feint.
Posted By: Jackie Re: a paradox? - 05/06/11 02:22 AM
Ha!
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: a paradox? - 05/07/11 07:17 AM
Do you pass out prizes?
Posted By: Jackie Re: a paradox? - 05/08/11 12:56 AM
Peter, come here a minute--I have something for you.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: a paradox? - 05/08/11 08:13 AM

[bated breath]
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: a paradox? - 05/08/11 03:08 PM
Breathe, Peter, Breathe: to my knowledge we've never had a death
here; disappearances, yes, but never a death.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: a paradox? - 05/08/11 11:41 PM
well, there was Bill's, but that was of natural causes.
Posted By: Jackie Re: a paradox? - 05/09/11 03:16 AM
And Wow--RIP, sweet Ann, and I think of you every day when I click to donate to the Animal Rescue site ; and Angel; and first was Musick's friend whose screen name I have totally forgotten, in that car crash.
Posted By: Faldage Re: a paradox? - 05/09/11 10:30 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
a reader (who's a lawyer) asks:

Someone says, "I didn't taste the soup. I did taste the soup." That statement is nonsense, and it's a simple self-contradiction. Either part can be true, but not both.

This is not necessarily a self-contradiction. There could be two definitions of taste in play here. To put it another way, "The soup was flavorless. I did sample it to see if I would like it."
Posted By: BranShea Re: a paradox? - 05/09/11 03:01 PM
Yip, but it would only be understood if you put it this other way.

Or if you put it this way: "I didn't taste the soup although I did taste the soup."
Posted By: obihave Re: a paradox? - 05/09/11 08:45 PM
I read what you are saying but I don't read what you are saying.
© Wordsmith.org