Wordsmith.org

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/#LargeMap
wow.

thanks for the link, FF! definitely will get Facebooked tonight!
I'll piggy back on Buff...
thanks so much really great!
Posted By: bexter Re: Map of North American English Dialects. - 01/06/11 05:06 PM
wow
That must have taken a very long time to put together...the highest award for dedication should be bestowed laugh
Meant to put this over in Misc. Was rushed.

Yes, bex, a staggering effort and passion have gone into it.
Posted By: Candy Re: Map of North American English Dialects. - 01/07/11 02:59 AM
Thanks FF a great link.

Its something all counties should think of doing..... preservation of language.
But there are dozens of languages in the US that are almost
dead: Native American, chiefly, but a couple from obscure
places in Europe whose folks colonized here and now are
left with a dozen or less still speaking the mother tongue.
Posted By: bexter Re: Map of North American English Dialects. - 01/07/11 04:35 PM
Languages like, Wagiman, say?
Yes, but I think that one is Australian, if I remember
the 'daffynition' word correctly. Many Native American
Tribal tongues are about gone.
Posted By: bexter Re: Map of North American English Dialects. - 01/07/11 05:22 PM
I think I read somewhere that one of the NA tongues had two people left who spoke it and one of them was interviewed and refused to speak anything but that and they had to find someone who could speak it to translate for them, found the other speaker and then had to give up on the interview once they had been introduced because they had both thought that they were the last speakers of that language and had a major catching up session in their language
Quite possibly true. Often there is a news story about
only one or a half dozen speakers of some NA language
left.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Map of North American English Dialects. - 01/07/11 07:06 PM
Often there is a news story about
only one or a half dozen speakers of some NA language
left.

It depends which tribes. The map in question includes Diné bizaad (or Navajo). Estimates are about 170,000 speakers. In Mexico, there are a lot more indigenous languages spoken on a daily basis.
Yes, Dine is far more widely spoken than many.
© Wordsmith.org