Wordsmith.org
Posted By: NatalieK Fressenfreude - 11/10/10 03:33 AM
Is there a word for the pleasure I get from eating delicious food which would have been forbidden to me if I still kept the food taboos of my ancestors? Inspired by the word "Schadenfreude", I have invented "Fressenfreude", but it would be nice if there was a proper English word to describe this emotion.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Fressenfreude - 11/10/10 08:29 AM
;-)A healthy appetite? Welcome.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Fressenfreude - 11/10/10 12:49 PM
"Fressenfreude"

German fressen is literally what animals do; with human agents essen is the "proper" verb. Of course, fressen gets used a lot with human agents, too. Cf. English 'putting on the feedbag', 'sitting down at the trough', etc.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Fressenfreude - 11/10/10 01:27 PM
Erst kommt das Fressen, dann kommt die Moral.

I have always interpreted the Fressen in this line from Threepenny Opera to mean eating for survival. Others have equated it to gluttony. I have seen the translation "First feed the face, then talk right from wrong." I prefer "First feed the belly, then talk right from wrong." If nothing else, it fits the meter better.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Fressenfreude - 11/10/10 02:17 PM
Others have equated it to gluttony.

I had considered gluttony for the desired word in the opening post, but figured it was too pejorative.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Fressenfreude - 11/10/10 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: NatalieK
Is there a word for the pleasure I get from eating delicious food which would have been forbidden to me if I still kept the food taboos of my ancestors? Inspired by the word "Schadenfreude", I have invented "Fressenfreude", but it would be nice if there was a proper English word to describe this emotion.

WELCOME
Posted By: NatalieK Re: Fressenfreude - 11/10/10 05:26 PM
Gluttony implies quantity, and my pleasure comes from quality. I posed the question after watching our daughter make delicious meat balls from ground beef, bread crumbs and lots of parmesan cheese. Good Jews will not mix meat and milk, so you won't find her recipe in a Kosher cookbook. My Hindu women friends don't eat beef, but I think their husbands get the pleasure I am talking about when they are tucking into a nice juicy steak.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Fressenfreude - 11/10/10 10:04 PM
Now I understand that you talk about a religion-related food taboo. You want a word to express the pleasure of defying a food taboo?
© Wordsmith.org