Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Not a grasshopper - 12/17/09 03:47 AM
This is for any Britspeaker out there...or anyone who can translate! Is a "jumper" just a pullover sweater, and if so, what do you-all call the kind of sweater that buttons or zips down the front?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Not a grasshopper - 12/17/09 05:02 AM
and if so, what do you-all call the kind of sweater that buttons or zips down the front?

Isn't that a cardigan?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Not a grasshopper - 12/17/09 11:23 AM
Without sleaves it is called vest. Don't know if in English that can be knitwear too.
Posted By: kah454 Re: Not a grasshopper - 12/17/09 06:12 PM
Jumpers were the style of uniform the girls wore when I was in Catholic Elementary School back in the 50's-60's it is a sleeveless type of dress that looks like an apron. It was usually worn over a blouse or some other clothing
Posted By: olly Re: Not a grasshopper - 12/17/09 09:25 PM
A Jumper would be the equivalent of a Jersey or pullover. With buttons in the front, a Cardigan or cardy as we say down ere.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Not a grasshopper - 12/18/09 02:49 AM
Ok. Merci. I didn't know if the term applied to both kinds of sweaters or just the one. And yes, kah, that's what I think of as a jumper; which is not the same as a pinafore.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Not a grasshopper - 12/20/09 09:09 PM
Jackie, over ankle high in snow here. We are snowhopping wearing woollen jumpers. At last. Victoire! Traffic blocked. Trams and trains unable to ride. Wonderful.
© Wordsmith.org