Wordsmith.org
Posted By: cyberbrook also can't locate the word for ... - 09/25/09 03:17 PM
the phenomenon whereby you repeatedly seem to see or hear a word that you recently learned, thinking that you had never seen or heard the word before.

I thought I once heard a word for this, but I don't remember and now am not sure if it exists or not. If a word for it doesn't exist, I'll gladly accept neologisms.

Any ideas?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/25/09 04:50 PM
I have seen diegogarcity used (link). Its coining seems to run along the lines of synchronicity (link).
Posted By: tsuwm Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/25/09 05:31 PM
diegogarcity is a word that's come up here several times before; if you have further interest, you could do a local search for it - it shows up in ~ eight different threads.

it is also firmly entrenched at onelook wink
Posted By: cyberbrook Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/25/09 06:04 PM
Excellent, thanks!
Posted By: Jackie Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/26/09 12:40 AM
[fr. Diego Garcia, Indian Ocean atoll; after serendipity What do you mean, after serendipity, please? I know about Serendib, but.
Posted By: Faldage Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/26/09 01:22 AM
Used at wordorigins.org? Coined at wordorigins.org. I was there. I'm an eye-witness.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/26/09 05:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
[fr. Diego Garcia, Indian Ocean atoll; after serendipity What do you mean, after serendipity, please? I know about Serendib, but.

coined after the model of, or modeled after..
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/26/09 10:58 AM
What do you mean, after serendipity

Serendip is a place name, putting this -ity ending on it transformed it into an abstract noun meaning something like 'agreeable chance occurence'. So, they took another placename and converted it with the same suffix. Kinda like the -gate suffix came to mean 'scandal'. (The -gate in the original Watergate means 'gate'.
Posted By: BranShea Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/28/09 10:22 AM
diegogarcity
[fr. Diego Garcia, Indian Ocean atoll; after serendipity]
"a term used [at Wordorigins.org] to denote the appearance of another term in multiple sources shortly after you have looked it up in the dictionary" (or first noticed it)

I can understand the 'logic' of serendipity from Serendip, but
the connection between the Indian Ocean atoll and diegogarcity escapes me. The phenomenen itself, I think is not limited to word or terms only, but to objects and types of people and fruits and flowers in the wild as well.

It is a phenomenon of perceptiveness.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/28/09 04:45 PM
it certainly worked for me: shortly after discovering this term, I was reading Simon Winchester's Outposts, of which see this.
Posted By: BranShea Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/28/09 06:25 PM
Yes, it is quite possible that in near future I will come across
and notice the term as well, just because my attention has been put to it.
Originally Posted By: BranShea
I can understand the 'logic' of serendipity from Serendip, but
the connection between the Indian Ocean atoll and diegogarcity escapes me.

serendip comes from Ceylon, an Indian Ocean island. Diego Garcia is also an Indian Island ocean.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/28/09 09:09 PM
Do these terms apply globally, or just to words? This phenomenon also occurs in other contexts, such as when you buy a new vehicle, and suddenly start seeing that model everywhere, whereas previously it may not have existed, as far as you knew. I rarely buy new vehicles, but it happened every time. :0)
globally. it is diegogarcitic to see your car (or color car, or whatever...).
Posted By: Faldage Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/28/09 10:56 PM
I believe the original intent was to have it refer only to words, but, words, like children, don't always live up to their parents expectations.
Posted By: Jackie Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/29/09 02:24 AM
coined after the model of, or modeled after.. Gar-zie(a).
Posted By: BranShea Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/29/09 10:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
serendip comes from Ceylon, an Indian Ocean island. Diego Garcia is also an Indian Island ocean.
So is Java, Sipura, Sumatra, Phuket, Timor, Socotra.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/29/09 10:55 AM
So is Java, Sipura, Sumatra, Phuket, Timor, Socotra.

However, perhaps serendipitously, the coiner choose the island of Diego Garcia. I think we can rule out Java and Phuket as being too well known.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/29/09 02:22 PM
likewise, timorous/timorously/timorsome would seem to militate against timoricity.
Posted By: BranShea Re: also can't locate the word for ... - 09/29/09 06:16 PM
Sulawesìcity?
© Wordsmith.org