Wordsmith.org
Posted By: doc_comfort Oenohoi - 08/14/09 01:14 AM
Somewhere, somewhen I came across this word. However, now that I'm looking for it, I can find it anywhere. The definition I had is the same as a symposiarch - a kind of sommelier in ancient greece.

Does (or did) the word exist? With this meaning or any other?

Or have I just made it up?
Posted By: olly Re: Oenohoi - 08/14/09 01:53 AM
The only reference I could find was to it being a type of carafe.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Oenohoi - 08/14/09 02:01 AM
How'd that H get in there?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Oenohoi - 08/14/09 02:25 AM
This is as close as I could find, Honey, but like olly's it doesn't mean a person, it's a thing.
Oenochoai
a wine pitcher or jug, characterized by a curved handle extending from the lip to the shoulder, and a round or trefoil mouth.
(Dictionary.com)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Oenohoi - 08/14/09 05:15 AM
Well, wine in Greek is οινος (oinos). There is a verb οινοχοεω (oinokhoeō) 'to pour out wine' and a noun οινοχοος (oinokhoos) 'wine pourer; cup-bearer'. Its plural would be οινοχοοι (oinokhooi). I suppose the latter could be transliterated into the Latin alphabet as oenochoi.
Posted By: Zed Re: Oenohoi - 08/14/09 06:17 AM
looks easier to say than sommelier after a few too many samples; you could kind of slur it out and as long as you managed some sort of k sound the guy (or jug) would still show up to serve you.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Oenohoi - 08/14/09 11:59 AM
Ha! for the comment.
Something related to the word οινοχόος

link
Jim, could you translate what's written under the monochrome image?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Oenohoi - 08/14/09 01:47 PM
could you translate what's written under the monochrome image?

There is more than one monochromatic picture on the page, but I'll assume that it's the one you searched on. Another caveat, my Classical Greek is not that good, and my Modern Greek is almost non-existent aside from some pleasantries and food items. The page is in Modern Greek. One hint is in the caption under the image:

Η δηλητηρίαση του Αλέξανδρου σε μεσαιωνική παράσταση. Μπροστά διακρίνεται ο οινοχόος Ιόλλας που έριξε το δηλητήριο στο κρασί του

Μπροστά (Mprosta) 'before, ahead, in front'. The phonology of Modern Greek is quite different from Classical Greek. Think of the difference between Latin and Italian. {β} beta was pronounced /b/ in CGk, but is pronounced /v/ in MGk. {μπ} is a digraph for /b/ in MGk.

Anyway: The poisoning of Alexander in a Medieval representation. In front is Iollas (link), the cup-bearer, who threw the poison in.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Oenohoi - 08/14/09 06:42 PM
Thank you, yes it was the caption under that image I meant. "οινοχοος (oinokhoos) 'wine pourer; cup-bearer'. Its plural would be οινοχοοι (oinokhooi). "
I've always found 'sommelier' a very strange word, considering where it stands for. It makes me think of sommeil and oreiller (sleep and pillow) Well, the sommelier in this picture provides an eternal sleep for sure.
© Wordsmith.org