Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sundaresh07 Rhubarb - 07/07/09 11:00 AM
Hello,
I saw that the word `Rhubarb` is derived from `barbaros` which means `foreign`. Is `barbaros` also a part of `barbaric` which might explain the present association of ` a brawl` with `rhubarb` because a `barbarian` is one who is uncouth and uncultured and is therefore one who is prone to violence like the ancient invading tribesmen who were referred to by the same term?. Please reply soon.
Yours sincerely,
sundaresh.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Rhubarb - 07/07/09 11:45 AM
Welcome to the Board, Sundaresh. Yes, barbaros, the root of rhubarb, is indeed also the root of barbaric. I wouldn't go so far as to associate the connotation of being prone to violence that one might connect to being barbaric with the word rhubarb.
Posted By: Sundaresh07 Re: Rhubarb - 07/07/09 12:33 PM
But,the word rhubarb does have a connotation of `a brawl` or, `a heated dispute`. Refer AWAD`s theme on slang about a week ago.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Rhubarb - 07/08/09 03:08 AM
Oh,yes. I just don't think it got it from anything it may have inherited from barbaros. Maybe I'm wrong. There are others here who would be better able to discuss this. I just think the 'brawl' meaning of rhubarb came too long after any connection with barbaros for it to be a factor.
© Wordsmith.org