Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Zed By and large - 05/20/09 06:07 AM
I never looked at the phrase "by and large" until we watched WALL-E last night but when I did it made me curious. I use it to mean "for the most part" but how did it get that meaning?
Anyone know?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: By and large - 05/20/09 06:10 AM
what AHD4 has to say
Posted By: BranShea Re: By and large - 05/20/09 07:59 AM
By and large: with the wind abaft the beam. Sailors delight.
Abaft: to the rear of; aft of: the fife rail abaft the mainmast. In the direction of the stern; astern; aft.

One leading to another. Fife? Turned into a traverso flute.

Posted By: Zed Re: By and large - 05/21/09 07:16 AM
So "by and large" meant tacking back and forth to average the right direction.
Thank you I have a whole new concept for the phrase now.
Posted By: Jackie Re: By and large - 05/22/09 02:50 AM
Me too! That's pretty cool!
Posted By: Faldage Re: By and large - 05/22/09 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Zed
So "by and large" meant tacking back and forth to average the right direction.
Thank you I have a whole new concept for the phrase now.

Tacking is only needed when sailing into the wind. When the wind is coming from the stern, or, indeed, from any direction abaft the beam, there is no need to tack.
Posted By: Jackie Re: By and large - 05/23/09 03:26 AM
...So you can head straight to your destination without going by and large?
Posted By: Faldage Re: By and large - 05/23/09 11:37 AM
In the older, square rigged ships it was not possible to sail into the wind. I'm not sure the etymology offered by the AHD makes any sense, but there you go.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: By and large - 05/23/09 01:28 PM
Wgat others have to say: World Wide Words, The Straight Dope, The Phrase Finder, and Scuttlebutt.
Quote:
Thus you see the ship handled in fair weather and foul, by and learge. Samuel Sturmy The Mariners Magazine 1669.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: By and large - 05/23/09 05:00 PM
Quinion's explanation swells; that of the Dope, blows.
-ron o.
Posted By: Jackie Re: By and large - 05/24/09 12:14 AM
Thar she.
Posted By: BranShea Re: By and large - 05/25/09 03:43 PM
Darcy? Obviously it's strawberry day.
Posted By: Jackie Re: By and large - 05/26/09 02:21 AM
Branny! LOVE your new pic!!
Sorry, Sweetie: "thar she blows" is kind of an iconic expression from old movies about the sea; specifically, whaling.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Thar' she blows - 05/26/09 10:27 AM
In the old days the lookout on a whaling ship would look for signs of a pod of whales. When a whale surfaces after a long period of being under water the first thing it does is to release the air in its lungs with an explosive exhalation through its blowhole, the single nostril on the top of its head. This would be visible as a cloud of water vapor. The lookout would announce this to the sailors and officers on the deck below by shouting "Thar' she blows!" "Thar'" is a dialect version of the standard English "there".
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Thar' she blows - 05/26/09 11:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
In the old days the lookout on a whaling ship would look for signs of a pod of whales. When a whale surfaces after a long period of being under water the first thing it does is to release the air in its lungs with an explosive exhalation through its blowhole, the single nostril on the top of its head. This would be visible as a cloud of water vapor. The lookout would announce this to the sailors and officers on the deck below by shouting "Thar' she blows!" "Thar'" is a dialect version of the standard English "there".

One correction here. Having seen humpbacks up close and personal, I know they have two blowholes. Most whales being hunted were/are baleen whales, and they all have two. Toothed whales (killer. dolphin, porpoise etc.) only have one. They were not often hunted by whalers. Many people mistakenly believe that whales spout water, which makes no sense, or that the water seen is what was lying on top of the blowhole, which wouldn't be able to account for the size of the spout. The air in the whale's lungs becomes warm and moist during the dive, which then rapidly condenses into water vapor upon hitting the cool ocean air. Different whales have different spout shapes, too. And it's loud! It sounds like something really, really big gasping for air, which I guess it is. But somehow when you hear it close up for the first time, it's startling. :0)
two blowholes
Posted By: Faldage Re: Thar' she blows - 05/27/09 01:12 AM
Thanks for the correction. I always assumed they only had one blowhole. Now I know better.
© Wordsmith.org