Wordsmith.org
Posted By: sbd Cat Idiom - 02/24/09 03:13 PM
What is the origin and meaning of "be the Cat's Whiskers?" I've heard of this saying but its seldom used in the USA.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cat Idiom - 02/24/09 03:57 PM
it's simply the best; in the U.S., see the cat's pyjamas
Posted By: BranShea Re: Cat Idiom - 02/24/09 08:29 PM
So a flapper is a girl who never flounders?
Posted By: olly Re: Cat Idiom - 02/24/09 08:30 PM
Well, thats just 'The Bee's Knees'. You may need an Entomology dictionary. whistle
Posted By: BranShea Re: Cat Idiom - 02/24/09 09:23 PM
I like the gnat's elbow. How will it manage to cling to cat's whiskers.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cat Idiom - 02/25/09 12:24 AM
Accompanied by the cat's meow.
Posted By: latishya Re: Cat Idiom - 02/25/09 02:03 AM
Originally Posted By: olly
Well, thats just 'The Bee's Knees'. You may need an Entomology dictionary. whistle

Perhaps Douglas Adams had one?
Quote:
This man is the bee's knees, Arthur, he is the wasp's nipples. He is, I would go so far as to say, the entire set of erogenous zones of every major flying insect of the Western world.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Cat Idiom - 02/25/09 05:46 PM
Note in passing: "Catwhisker" is also a reference to the wire contact of and eventually the entire early semiconductor device, a rectifier or diode used as "detector" in early earphone radios

But here's something that isn't generally known: In 1930 the year I was born an ingenious fellow inventor added a second catwhisker, devising what was actually the first point-contact transistor. However it was not recognized as such until decades later. This patent is so obscure that unless you're much more adept than I at Googling you might spend all morning attempting to confirm it

Part of the difficulty arises from five or six different spellings of "catwhisker" and partly on Mac's massively incompetent search algorithm but I guarantee if you ae more persistent than I you will find it

Coincidentally as if to confirm Mac's software incompetence he doesn't recognize "ae" above as a misspelling of "are"

Posted By: Zed Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 08:26 AM
My Mac caught it but maybe she is more competent than your he Mac.
wink
Posted By: BranShea Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 08:51 AM
He Macs take offense more easily.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
Mac's massively incompetent search algorithm

searching the web is completely independent of computer platform.

you do know that, don't you, dale?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: etaoin

Of course I do but in my own defense, owing to my advanced age I tend to inadvertently blame my gripes on the OS

......but Mac not Anu is responsible for the deplorable speller

......isn't he
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 06:34 PM
>but Mac not Anu is responsible for the deplorable speller ...isn't he

it depends, but probly both in your case. if you are using the WsTalk Reply/Post box to type or edit your post (and why wouldn't you) you get the execrable spellcheck which is part of the forum software (UBB Threads). if you are composing your posts in some offline editor, you are at the mercy of that app's spellcheck, but the word list should be expandable.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 06:37 PM
I learned to spell in school...
Posted By: latishya Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 06:52 PM

dalehileman makes his stupid, vapid rants to annoy others.

You do know that, don't you, etaoin? grin
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 07:06 PM
heh

I's calling it irony.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
>but Mac not Anu is responsible for the deplorable speller ...isn't he

it depends, but probly both in your case. if you are using the WsTalk Reply/Post box to type or edit your post (and why wouldn't you) you get the execrable spellcheck which is part of the forum software (UBB Threads).

*******I use the little "Quote" box at the bottom of the post in blue and underlined I think; is that the one

if you are composing your posts in some offline editor,

*****I hope not, I avoid the accumulation of other programs

.....you are at the mercy of that app's spellcheck, but the word list should be expandable.

Thank you tsu and yes it should, just as it was in Outlook, but for the life of me I can't figure out how it's done for instance in Mac Mail
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 07:18 PM
I learned to spell in school...

So did I but I'm a terrible typist
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 07:27 PM
Originally Posted By: latishya
..... incompetent search algorithm
...... independent of computer platform....you do know that......

dalehileman makes his stupid, vapid rants to annoy others.

You do know that, don't you, etaoin? grin

Actually eta has defended me on numerous occasions although I suspect at times with some reluctance though never lat in my two decades doing stuff like this have I insulted anyone. There are of course at every site participants who rant and rave at the slightest supposed violation of protocol

......which incidentally recent studies seem to indicate are good for you (the ranting and raving not the protocols) so you should thank me. Meanwhile I keep inviting them all simply not to read my posts, I won't be offended in the slightest

....but they do anyway, suggesting they derive from it some sort of perverse pleasure

Posted By: latishya Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 07:33 PM
Meanwhile I keep inviting them all simply not to read my posts, I won't be offended in the slightest

If this was technically possible I would. I have not found an ignore button on this board and so to read the posts I want to I have to wade through yours much more often than I would like.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 07:45 PM
.....simply not to read my posts, I won't be offended......

If this was technically possible.....I have to wade through yours......

Over to the left in each post in a box largely by itself there's what's called a nickname or something, and mine is dalehileman I believe in a bold font. When you see it there simply avoid the box to the right

In addition on most mice there's a wheel to make scrolling easier
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 08:47 PM
Meanwhile I keep inviting them all simply not to read my posts, I won't be offended in the slightest

If this was technically possible I would. I have not found an ignore button on this board and so to read the posts I want to I have to wade through yours much more often than I would like.

it is technically possible: click on the name of the user you wish to ignore (e.g., dalehileman, next to one of his posts); click on View profile; click on Ignore this user.
-joe (et voila and Bob's your uncle.) friday
Posted By: latishya Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 08:51 PM

it is technically possible: click on the name of the user you wish to ignore (e.g., dalehileman, next to one of his posts); click on View profile; click on Ignore this user.

Thank you! The function is buried quite deep here it seems, not like most forums I use.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Cat Idiom - 02/26/09 10:49 PM

i.............click on View profile; click on Ignore this user.

Thank you! The function is buried quite deep here it seems, not like most forums I use.

Yes tsu thank you most kindly as this will relieve so much unnecessary suffering
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Cat Idiom - 02/27/09 03:29 PM

Technical question: If you "ignore" and user and no longer see his or her posts, how would you reverse that if you change your mind? If you can't see the posts, you can't click on the user to make a change... thanks! :0)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cat Idiom - 02/27/09 03:55 PM
iirc, what actually happens when you choose to ignore someone is you still see their name (i.e., you can click and view profile) but what you see in the post box is 'you are ignoring this person', or words to that effect.

so it's really only helpful if you *want to ignore someone, but just can't stop yourself from reading them anyway. (in fact, I find it to be an annoying reminder of that person's presence, and I wonder what stupid thing they've posted now. 8-} )

-joe (so how is this a good thing?) friday
© Wordsmith.org