Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman feuilleton - 02/12/09 07:05 PM
....newspapers, magazines, feuilletons and paperbound books....

...The Winds of War, Herman Wouk

http://onelook.com/?w=feuilleton&ls=a

Coincidentally when I opened my Victorville, CA Daily Press this morning there on page A3 appeared two articles in a box side-by-side: 16 illegal immigrants sue rancher and Two big satellites collide 500 miles over Siberia

What the hell do the immigrants have to do with satellites I mused, but then noted a title inside and at the top: THE NATION.

Aside to unci: Aha! I thought: it's a feuilleton! Maybe our first type-3 for the week, not every day we learn something--at least not me

But do read the book, it's a classic
Posted By: The Pook Re: feuilleton - 02/12/09 08:12 PM
Is this an indicator of the extent of the average American editor's knowlege of Geography?
Posted By: BranShea Re: feuilleton - 02/12/09 10:13 PM
See, instructive. I read your local news too. And the book.. There even is a DVD from the movie with one of my favorite stars:Mitchum.
The Winds of War (1983)Starring: Robert Mitchum, Ali MacGraw . (Ali MacGraw (oops!Mac)is OK too.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: feuilleton - 02/13/09 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: The Pook
Is this an indicator of the extent of the average American editor's knowlege of Geography?

If editors are being chosen from of today's "educated" youth, then the answer is Yes.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: feuilleton - 02/13/09 05:13 PM

Bran thank you for that link and I shall watch the Dish Guide for the movie, about time it came out on Basic Satellite

pook nah, page A3 is supposed to give a quick rundown of world affairs. The Victorville Daily Press except for its Op-Ed policy is actually an excellent rag, winning plaudits and journ awards

Trouble is, one is virtually captive to the local Fourth Estate for proximal news and sales flyers so we have to tolerate their right-wing balderdash. Between yard work and home repairs there just isn't time to plough through two different papers each morning and on a fixed income for a slight leftward-slant just can't afford a subscription to the LA Times as well

We've complained about their one-way Op-Ed but I guess if they were to field a more balanced view they'd lose a lot of their rural and provincial subscribers who might descend upon the editorial offices in their garishly detailed pickup trucks brandishing shotguns and shouting biblical slogans

Posted By: dalehileman Re: feuilleton - 02/19/09 07:16 PM
About a week later, an AP clip: Man shoots himself at Crystal Cathedral. What's the first question that comes to your mind

I wonder if he broke any glass
Posted By: Zed Re: feuilleton - 02/20/09 06:34 AM
Hi Dale,
I don't understand how the 2 news articles that you mention in your initial post qualify as light fiction or reviews (whether or not you agree with the op of the ed.) Or did I miss an additional definition of feuilleton?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: feuilleton - 02/20/09 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Zed
Hi Dale,
........Or did I miss an additional definition of feuilleton?

Good for you Zed, I wondered if anyone would tumble to my taking liberties, much as the first few illiterates did when they used "drive" to describe a semiconductor chip
Posted By: Zed Re: feuilleton - 02/20/09 08:35 PM
Aha, another liberty. They were non-techies not necessarily illiterates.
Posted By: Faldage Re: feuilleton - 02/21/09 12:00 AM
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
Hi Dale,

Good for you Zed, I wondered if anyone would tumble to my taking liberties, much as the first few illiterates did when they used "drive" to describe a semiconductor chip

You didn't listen to the Red Queen, did you? A drive is a place to store data.
Posted By: Zed Re: feuilleton - 02/21/09 06:21 AM
No, silly, the drive is a place to store your car.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: feuilleton - 02/21/09 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Hi Dale,

******Good for you Zed, I wondered if anyone would tumble to my taking liberties, much as the first few illiterates did when they used "drive" to describe a semiconductor chip

***By that reasoning the transistor should have been called a tube
Posted By: Faldage Re: feuilleton - 02/21/09 06:54 PM
Sometimes words make the transistion, sometimes they don't. Album made it from the collection of 78rpm records all the way through to CDs. That's just as illogical as your drive example. On the other hand, record didn't make it through to the CD, or even to the tape. There's no reason why you shouldn't call a CD a record. Sure, you'll get some folks who'll refer to a CD as a record, but they're by far in the minority.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: feuilleton - 02/22/09 04:52 PM
Sometimes words make the transistion, sometimes they don't. Album made it from the collection of 78rpm records all the way through to CDs. That's just as illogical as your drive example.

*****No it's not, a CD album not only shares a similar function but looks just a whole lot like a record album

On the other hand, record didn't make it through to the CD, or even to the tape. There's no reason why you shouldn't call a CD a record.

******Ok with me

Sure, you'll get some folks who'll refer to a CD as a record, but they're by far in the minority.

****I do like CD better too
Posted By: Faldage Re: feuilleton - 02/22/09 06:28 PM
Sometimes words make the transistion, sometimes they don't. Album made it from the collection of 78rpm records all the way through to CDs. That's just as illogical as your drive example.

*****No it's not, a CD album not only shares a similar function but looks just a whole lot like a record album

The slip in the meaning of album came, not with the transition from LP to CD but from the transition from 78rpm records to LP. The 78 rpm albums were so-called because, like photo albums of the time, they had individual pages for the insertion of individual disks. The pre-recording albums, e.g., photo or stamp, were so-called because they had blank pages. It's from the Latin word for blank tablet.
Posted By: PastorVon Re: feuilleton - 02/22/09 10:04 PM
[quote=Zed]Hi Dale,

******Good for you Zed, I wondered if anyone would tumble to my taking liberties, much as the first few illiterates did when they used "drive" to describe a semiconductor chip

***By that reasoning the transistor should have been called a tube [/quote]

But, the English electronic world did not standardize "tube" in naming vacuum tubes. I do not know how universal the use of "tube" was -- it may have only been American. While I cannot recall right now the term that the British used, however, it was more descriptive of the function of vacuum tubes than of their appearance. And, in some contexts the same British term was used to refer to a transistor.

When I studied electronics under the tutelage of the US Air Force, transistors were the very new thing. Most of the equipment we used still had vacuum tubes. Transistos were only utilized in electronic equipment where minaturization was an advantage as for example in equipment used within an air plane versus equipment that was used on the ground.

I worked in physical measurements laboratories, analyzing and evaluating the energy levels radiated by debris resulting from nuclear detonations. At the time -- late 1950s/early 1960s, there were three primary pieces of electronic equipment that we used routinely: a device that counted the radiation digitally; a device that was essentially a high voltage transformer; and a device that served as the detection chamber. Only the latter had transistors. The first two had vacuum tubes. The tubes in the counting device were quite large -- almost ten inches in height.

One of the laboratories in which I worked was in a country that did not use 60 cycle electricity, the system around which our equipment was designed. The local electrical system was also very unstable. We had a very complicated conversion pant that produced precise 60 cycle current. Nonetheless, because of the instability of our local source, we were suffering multiple transformer failures in the high voltage devices,

The problem was solved when I designed a automatic cut-off system based on the filament voltage circuit of the device. But, I used a vacuum tube rather than a transistor for there was none available yet to do what the vacuum tube I used did.

And, the British name still has not come to me -- so I will stop.
Posted By: PastorVon Re: feuilleton - 02/22/09 10:08 PM

Actually, the drive is the place to park the car or to access the facility in which the car may be "store"d, i.e., the garage. ;^)
Posted By: dalehileman Re: feuilleton - 02/22/09 11:17 PM
Von by chance I too am an electronic type so if you should wish to exchange experiences I am dalehileman@me.com
Posted By: Faldage Re: feuilleton - 02/23/09 12:39 AM
Originally Posted By: PastorVon

But, the English electronic world did not standardize "tube" in naming vacuum tubes. I do not know how universal the use of "tube" was -- it may have only been American. While I cannot recall right now the term that the British used, however, it was more descriptive of the function of vacuum tubes than of their appearance. And, in some contexts the same British term was used to refer to a transistor.

The British term was/is valve. I don't know if they extended the term to transistors but I bet a little googling will tell us.

Wikipedia doesn't seem to think that the British call a transistor a valve. I don't find anything anywhere else, either. Doesn't mean they don't use it that way. Bet someone here would know.
Posted By: olly Re: feuilleton - 02/23/09 12:50 AM
The British term was/is valve. I don't know if they extended the term to transistors but I bet a little googling will tell us.
Yes, valve is the common usage and transistor is as you would call it, a transistor.
Posted By: Faldage Re: feuilleton - 02/23/09 02:10 AM
So in Aotearoa you wouldn't call a transistor a valve. Is that what you're saying?
Posted By: olly Re: feuilleton - 02/23/09 02:28 AM

So in Aotearoa you wouldn't call a transistor a valve. Is that what you're saying?

Yep! Thats what I'm saying. As a youngster we had both a valve and transistor radios. Dad was an amateur radio enthusiast. He had an old army surplus unit about the size of a beer crate but twice as heavy. Fascinating machine!
Posted By: Faldage Re: feuilleton - 02/23/09 11:42 AM
Incidentally, it seems the electronic use of the term valve] sometimes takes the adjective thermionic. If there was no counterpart for the old-fashioned plumbing valve this would seem to be a case of the reverse of a retronym.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: feuilleton - 02/23/09 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorVon

Actually, the drive is the place to park the car or to access the facility in which the car may be "store"d, i.e., the garage. ;^)

******Von, Zed, is that usage peculiar to North Carolina and British Columbia since I've never heard the term used that way

http://onelook.com/?w=drive&ls=a

....though "drive" is short for "driveway," used to mean a short paved road beside a dwelling, on which one is likely to park his car. Otherwise Laverne, who is much smarter than I, agrees we've never heard it used to mean a garage, etc
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: feuilleton - 02/23/09 11:09 PM
This thread is all too high feuilleton for my liking.
Posted By: Zed Re: feuilleton - 02/24/09 05:40 PM
for doc grin

True, I was stretching it a bit. Driveway is where you park your car beside the house. A drive is usually a fancy version of road, usually a scenic one as in "It's the second driveway on the right off Cholmondley Drive."
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: feuilleton - 02/24/09 05:49 PM

As some comedian pointed out:

Why is it we park on the drive way,
and drive on the parkway?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: feuilleton - 02/25/09 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: doc_comfort
This thread is all too high feuilleton for my liking.

Me too and though I can understand calling a rom a drive since some drives are really getting small

......I still say it would have been wrong to call a transistor a tube in accordance with some of the foregoing venue

...forgive me for the last one as I do sometimes incline to the facetious
Posted By: Faldage Re: feuilleton - 02/26/09 12:47 AM
Your incident is that you need to word a blank on your findom.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: feuilleton - 02/27/09 05:27 PM
Your incident is that you need to word a blank on your findom.

http://onelook.com/?w=findom&ls=a
Posted By: Faldage Re: findom - 02/28/09 12:10 AM
Ya had me going there for a moment, Dale. That one I just made up. I was worried that you'd found it actually meant something.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: findom - 02/28/09 07:01 PM
Ya had me going there for a moment, Dale. That one I just made up. I was worried that you'd found it actually meant something.

tsorai
Posted By: Faldage Re: findom - 03/01/09 02:42 AM
No parlem.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: findom - 03/02/09 04:26 PM
No parlem.

Remember Se̴̴̴̴̴nor Wences

I did look for the wiggly but when I finally found it, "insert" instead caused the n to disappear altogether. So I gave up, replacing it and just decided to let it alone but then "Submit" inserted all those numbers and symbols

Makes you wonder sometimes about Mac
Posted By: tsuwm Re: findom - 03/02/09 04:45 PM
>Se̴̴̴̴̴nor

now *that's a feature of the AWADtalk editor.
you truly are a bad person, dale.
-ron o.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: findom - 03/02/09 05:30 PM
ñ

just had to try...
Posted By: dalehileman Re: findom - 03/02/09 06:34 PM
Originally Posted By: etaoin
ñ

just had to try...

tsu, truly am

eta, how did you do it
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: findom - 03/02/09 07:24 PM
try option-n, then n

I use a widget called CharacterPal.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: findom - 03/02/09 10:29 PM
try option-n, then n

I use a widget called CharacterPal.

forgive me eta but what is an option-n
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: findom - 03/02/09 11:03 PM
keys, dale, keys.

on the keyboard. qwerty, and all that.
Posted By: Faldage Re: findom - 03/03/09 12:11 AM
keys, dale, keys.

If you've got a Mac.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: findom - 03/03/09 04:37 AM
keys, dale, keys.

If you've got a Mac.

which I know dale has.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: findom - 03/03/09 04:50 AM
ñ

just had to try...

señor

well, it's even possible with windoze - you just have to find somewhere else on the web to copy it from!
-ron o.

or know the 'character entity reference'
ñ [ntilde]
® [reg]
♠ [spades]
Posted By: BranShea Re: findom - 03/03/09 08:40 AM
ñ , sorry, had to try this masterpiece too. Just on the keyboard. But the spade... that is something else.♠ (that had to be straightforwardly stolen)
Posted By: Faldage Re: findom - 03/03/09 11:25 AM
On a windoze machine you can use extended ASCII according to this chart.

Hold down the ALT key and enter 0nnn where nnn is the number in the DEC column associated with the character you want. Note that the number (including the leading 0) must be entered using the numbers on the keypad, not the numbers in the top row of the keyboard. Example, to get the ñ, enter ALT-0241.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: findom - 03/03/09 01:46 PM
Faldo, that method doesn't seem to work with the expanded character set(s); e.g. the reversed R (ᴙ).

Posted By: tsuwm Re: findom - 03/03/09 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
ñ , sorry, had to try this masterpiece too. Just on the keyboard. But the spade... that is something else.♠ (that had to be straightforwardly stolen)

in order to use the character entity reference, insert the appropriate character string (e.g., spades) within '&' and ';'
thus ♠ [that's '& spades ;' without the spaces]

(again, there seems to be no CER for the reversed 'R')

here's a chart

you can directly copy the CER (here's the fraction 1/2: ½; or you can see the decimal code and use Faldo's method: (using decimal 189) ½
Posted By: dalehileman Re: findom - 03/03/09 04:34 PM
keys, dale, keys.

Aha! thank you, I'm yet not used to my new keyboard and forgot there was actually a key named "all option"

Incidentally "Adjust the font size" icons don't seem to work. Anyone know how to use 'em
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: findom - 03/03/09 05:28 PM
keys, dale, keys.

Aha! thank you, I'm yet not used to my new keyboard and forgot there was actually a key named "all option"

Incidentally "Adjust the font size" icons don't seem to work. Anyone know how to use 'em

yes
Posted By: BranShea Re: findom - 03/03/09 06:59 PM
Thanks very much tsuwm. After 8 years I can now make the € sign (and more amusing things). The euro sign wasn't on any keyboard I had so far. Going legal now.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: findom - 03/03/09 09:25 PM
keys, dale, keys.

yes

Aha! eta, I was evidently clicking the right mouse key instead of the left, see how I've attained my objective, thank you most kindly
Posted By: Faldage Re: findom - 03/04/09 03:16 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
Faldo, that method doesn't seem to work with the expanded character set(s); e.g. the reversed R (ᴙ).

I think my technique only works up to ALT-0255, ÿ

WARNING: pronunciation of the umlauted Y should not be attempted by amateurs. Severe neck and back damage could result. Even trained professionals should not try it indoors. Always be sure to have sufficient room and a flat surface when attempting this outdoors.
Posted By: Zed Re: findom - 03/04/09 07:46 AM
On a windoze machine you can use extended ASCII according to this chart.

Hold down the ALT key and enter 0nnn where nnn is the number in the DEC column associated with the character you want. Note that the number (including the leading 0) must be entered using the numbers on the keypad, not the numbers in the top row of the keyboard. Example, to get the ñ, enter ALT-0241.

Sorry folks. You'll just have to pretend the squiggles, dots and assorted other trimmings are there.
© Wordsmith.org