Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Scooter A word I've long forgotten.... - 10/14/08 10:22 AM
When I was at school our teacher told us a word that meant 'the current generation believes theirs is the most important time in history'. I have long forgotten the word and have been unable to find it, can anyone help?

Thank you.

Scott
Posted By: ParkinT Re: A word I've long forgotten.... - 10/14/08 01:20 PM
'Entitlement' is a term that has been used to describe the attitude of the current generation (the one just entering the workforce). It is evident in the attitude of young workers: "I showed up for work today, what more do you want from me?!"
Posted By: morphememedley Re: A word I've long forgotten.... - 10/14/08 04:44 PM
Do you remember whether the word ended with centric? New terms ending with that are, with the aid of the hyphen, made up fairly often, it seems.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: A word I've long forgotten.... - 10/15/08 02:38 AM
egocentric
privileged
fatalistic
selfsatisfied

culture of undeserved self-esteem?
Posted By: Jackie Re: A word I've long forgotten.... - 10/15/08 03:01 AM
Temporocentric. I learned the same thing, in college.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: A word I've long forgotten.... - 10/15/08 03:52 AM
I think Jackie is onto (or on?) something -- while you can't find temporocentrism in any online dictionary, it does turn up in Sociology texts such as the Dictionary of Sociology.
Posted By: Scooter Re: A word I've long forgotten.... - 10/16/08 07:55 AM
Thank you all - it is honestly so long ago I am not sure but temporocentrism does sound like the best fit.

Appreciated.

Scott
© Wordsmith.org